Cheapest Way to Mic & Mix 2 Subjects for Interview?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Cheapest Way to Mic & Mix 2 Subjects for Interview?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I will be doing a video shoot soon, interviewing two people. Am shopping for a camcorder now; thinking of either a Sony or Canon prosumer model (possibly hard-disk based, definitely HD).

Would I need to bring along a mixer if I bought two clip-on microphones? What would be some good brands to look for for clip-on mics, and what should I run the mics into? I assume I can’t go straight into the camcorder, since there’d be two plugs, so I’d have to mix somehow first. Suggestions / advice appreciated.

Participant

If you’re looking for the easiest and most cost-effective answer:

Purchase two Audio-Technica ATR35s lavalier mics – $30.00/each or less

Purchase a 1/8″ splitter from radio shack

Plug both mics into the splitter and splitter into your cam – no mixer needed.

I do it almost every day and never have any issues.

Others may disagree.

Inactive

Interesting. I was thinking about a splitter but I thought it might mess with the audio quality or reduce power to each mic.

Participant

There’s a vast number of “Lavalier Duo”systems (ok maybe that’s not the name if it’s restricted to only dynamic mic sets) that include two microphones and allowtwo signals to feed into the receiver, both ending up in the final mix through an XLR or 1/4” output. If it’s two single-pass sytems, then I’d go with the splitter option. It seperates the two individual mic signals over each of the camera’s stereo channels.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap