Charge for using royalty-free music?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Do any of you charge for using royalty-freemusic from your paid for library?

Participant

My fees include royalty free music from my library, and any other royalty free assets I may include in the project (stock video and stills, fonts, graphics, etc…).

What I do do is charge more for certain assets to be included (cost of acquisition, freshness, type of asset, time it takes me to find/extract, etc… – what I call “premium” vs. “standard” services).

Participant

Good to know.  You’re a gentleman and a scholar…but don’t worry – I won’t tell anyone πŸ˜‰

Participant

Like Birdcat, we build in charges for everything we do. It’s transparent; the customer never is aware of it. It’s simply included in our hourly rate for the job at hand.

When I purchase buy-out music — so-called “royalty free music — I calculate it’s value (not its cost) like this: I paid $50 for the disc; I anticipate using excerpts from it at least 8 times a year and I’d like to amortize the cost over two years. So I divide the $50 by 16 and come up with a value of about $3.15 per use. I add on a roughly 40% markup for profit to the business and add a total of $4.50 to the client’s bill. This is, of course, exclusive of labor involved in including the music in the final edit.

I have found that for our company, during its 14 years of business, this is a pretty good method of amortizing the cost of anything we purchase, whether it’s a camera, a disc printer or buy-out music.

Jack

Participant

Some of the producers that use my music will actually have the client pay for it. This way they get the license directly so they do not have any concerns.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year β€” 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap