Chapter Marker Problem

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have put 4 Chapter Markers in. First being Play All. That one runs from the beginning all they way to the very end of the movie. However when I play it, it plays until it hits chapter 2, then it goes back to the DVD menu. Any ideas?

Participant

Are the four different chapter markers all on one timeline?

Participant

Yes

Participant

My ENCORE CS3 guess would be…

Youset eachchapter “End Action” to play the next chapter and the Overide set to the sub-menu – presuming you made a submenu for the chapters of course, and linked each button on the sub-menu to the appropriate chapter.

To be honest though, ENCORE was sent here torment us! I keep fumbling through it, burn to a RW DVD and try again the next day!

Participant

I set the end action to return to the main dvd menu where you can choose the different chapters or play all. The end point is set for 30 minutes and XX seconds which is the very end of the timeline. Yet when chapter 1(play all) reaches chapter 2’s marker, it performs the end action. Even though the end marker for chapter one is at the very end of the timeline.

Obviously a way around all of this is to make the end action go onto the next chapter but I think that is a rig of a fix. I would rather make it right. It was before but for some reason the DVD file was delete/moved so I had to redo the menu.

Participant

I thought that end action of a marker in Encore will automatically trigger when it reaches the next marker.

So when it reads the next marker in the time line it automatically triggers the end action of the previous marker which is to return to the main menu.

It seems that it is doing exactly what you set the menus to do. Did I miss something?

Participant

No you are right. But I sent the end marker of chapter 1 to the very end of the DVD so I just figured it would run until it hit the end marker. I didnt think any markers between the beginning #1 chapter marker and the ending #1 chapter marker would make a difference.

What I want is when I choose chapter 1, it plays the whole DVD with not breaks. If I choose one of the other chapters, I want it to play ONLY that chapter and then go back to the DVD menu.

Participant

If you don’t set an end action for the chapter one marker it should behave the way you want it to.

The markers are triggered in numerical order 1 then 2 then 3 and so on. I believe that any marker will trigger the end action of the preceding marker.

So let me see it I understand this.

You have a menu that has a button on it. When you click the button it launches a timeline and you want the timeline to play and then return back to the menu?

But if you choose chapter 2 from that same menu you want it to only play the chapter 2 section and then jump back to the menu?

Participant

You have a menu that has a button on it. When you click the button it launches a timeline and you want the timeline to play and then return back to the menu? But if you choose chapter 2 from that same menu you want it to only play the chapter 2 section and then jump back to the menu?

Yes the button will play all. But if someone selects chapter 2-4 it will play ONLY that chapter and the back to the dvd menu. I swear I had it setup like this before I lost everything.

Participant

As far as I know to do what you want you would want to use multiple timelines.

Each timeline links to the next in sequence by settings it’s end action to proceed to the next timeline. The end action of the last timeline should be to return to the menu.

On the menu there would also be buttons to place a timeline individually. The buttons link to their respective timeline and the buttons Override end action is set to override the end action of the timeline and return to the menu.

Participant

Ok thank you for the information.

Participant

I just thought I’d include this comment for anyone having ENCORE Chapter problems in CS3.

I had a timeline with one movie and in it, 8 chapters.

I had a main menu and two submenues with 4 chapters each. I too, like the original question, was having really wacky stuff occuring.

I wasn’t trying to do anything fancy, all my chapters were to be played one after the other.

To make it work perfectly you have to do a lot less work than I thought.

1. Set first play as the main menu

2. Link’play movie’ tothe movie file. and Chapters to the ‘default’ of the chapter menu.

3. Link buttons to the Chapter they are playing.

4. Select ‘chapter’ in button type on the right so the transitions are seamless.

5. Do NOT use Chapter ‘end action’ – they are automatically done UNLESS you want something else.

6. Do NOT use overide, they too are done automatically.

So, for a straight forward type of project you can, with a single timeline and two menus (main and chapter) get your project to work perfectly.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best 360 cameras available — 2020

360-degree video is a brand new medium driven by new 360 camera technology. However, its immersive qualities create unique technological challenges.
homicide-bootstrap