CCD or CMOS?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am looking to get a HD camera. The ones I have been looking at all have that 1080i ability, but I am confused about the difference between a CCD HD camera’s and a CMOS HD camera’s picture quality. I have read articles about the difference, and they SEEM to be saying that you get a better picture quaility with CCD cameras. Also I noticed that CMOS HD cameras are cheaper. Ok, here are the questions.

1. What chip provides a better quality HD picture (CCD OR CMOS)?

2. If I do go with the CMOS, will I still see a major quality improvement over my Sony V2000 picture?

3. I am a wedding videographer, will the bride notice the difference between her wedding shot with a CMOS HD camera, and her girlfriends shot with a CCD HD camera?

As you may read into this, I will to spend a $1000.00 less on the CMOS camera, but I don’t want the purchase to come back later to bit me in the ass.

Each sensor type has it’s unique qualities. Historically CCDs have been better in that they’ve produced better looking images. But, that is mainly because CMOS technologies have needed to overcome their own obstacles to reach the quality of CCD imagers. That was several years ago. Currently, at the consumer and prosumer price points, CMOS seems to have greater benefits than CCDs– including picture quality.

If you’re mainly concerned about picture quality, choosing a CMOS or CCD is just one variable in that decision. You need to look at the whole picture, such as the quality of the glass (the lens, including the diameter of the lens), how many pixels are on the imager, the physical size of the imager, it’s scan method (progressive or interlaced) and then what the camcorder does to the image after it’s captured from the sensor (i.e., compression schemes). All this is to say that a image sensor is an important factor, but there is a lot of other factors to consider. The Sony VX2000 for example has found a happy marriage among all these factors, which is why the picture quality is perceived to be higher than a lot of other CCD cameras in that price range.

It seems to be the trend among manufacturers to adopt CMOS sensors for most new camcorders. The main factor in their decision is that CMOS sensors require less power to operate. And, as CMOS technologies advance, the picture quality will also improve. I’ve seen some images shot on a CMOS sensor that have been quite amazing in terms of picture quality. Canon just announced that they’re spending over $400 million to open a new factory to create CMOS imagers, so… CMOS is here and will probably replace CCD in the consumer and prosumer market in the next 2-3 years.

Your brides will probably not know the difference, nor see the difference. I’d suspect you’d have more brides asking if you can do HD video than if you can shoot on CMOS versus CCD or visa versa. I’m not trying to convince you to shoot HD, but in terms of what technologies consumers are aware of, I’d said CCD versus CMOS does not play a big role for your clients.

Mark

Inactive

Don’t forget about sensor size either. A larger sensor tends to mean better quality.

Participant

Well with my personal experience with both it really depends what you want. CMOS need alot of light to produce a good image and with that it does not do well in low light (like the new sony V1U) Now CCD’s produce a great image in low light and moderate amounts of light. CCD produces a sharp image in my oppinion and is still beter quality than CMOS. Now CMOS are smaller chips that CCD and that has it’s own problem within that, you lose some depth of feild and the image looks a little "wrong". Though CMOS have been arounf for awile sony and other companys have started to use them because they see if you can get alot of light in they do produce a wonderful image. CCD are larger and very reliable to the avrage shooter. And HD CCD’s hands down are the way to go.

Kyle

Participant

I would bet you will net be able to tell the difference.

The larger CCD’s do give a better picture but so many are so small the a CMOS will produce a better picture.
      But cost is the biggie. Under a $1000 I do not really see a big difference. $1000 to $3000 you can get a larger CCD and it may make a difference.

However the CMOS chips are getting soooooo good that you may want to view it for the price savings.
      Michael

Participant

Most newer cameras on the market are 3CCD camcorders.

So far, I have only seen one 3CMOS camcorder out there but I have heard news of more being release.

With three chips, there will be one for each color RGB.

I would recommend either a 3CCD or 3CMOS (if available) but I don’t really think it will matter (for you) which.

Just make sure you check the LUX rating. Because if what the others said is true about he light, you will need to get a camera with good low light capabilities. It CMOS doesn’t do well in low light then your choice is clear… especially if you are doing weddings.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap