Capturing the full HD clip

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

When I try to capture my HD footage, the first few seconds is invariably left off. I’m trying to just roll the tape and not log each clip individually, because I’m kind of lazy that way.

I have my Clip Settings set on “Create new clip on Start/Stop,” but it always takes a couple of seconds while FCP “Searches for new media.”

This doesn’t happen in SD.

Do I need to log every clip individually in HD to capture all the footage?

newberry94005
      Participant

A couple things:

Are you going to an onboard hard drive or an external drive? This may be causing the slight delay as it writes the current video before going to the next.

Try changing your settings to NOT “create new clip on Start/Stop”. This way it will capture straight through and you can go back and create subclips, then use Media Manage to get rid of all the excess video.

If you are not familiar with subclips, I would reccomend reading the help file in FCP. Subclips are perfect for doing what you are doing.(capture now – not logging every clip as it is captured)

Adam

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’ve done it both ways, direct to my MacBook Pro onboard drive and to a LaCie, with the same result.

Not creating “a new clip on on start/stop” seems to make it worse.

newberry94005
      Participant

Ok. What is your connection to your camera? Firewire-USB-Other?

If it is taking this long to find new media on every start/stop your only solution may be to do the tedious task of manually logging every clip(tedious if you are lazy like me).

Start the capture now, let it go for a few seconds, then roll the tape.

Also, if this persists, try and remember to shoot that way. Always give yourself about 5 -10 sec handles on each shot if possible.

Sorry I cant be more help, out of ideas without being able to see it in action.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks. I’ve adjusted my shooting style to just roll, roll, roll. Kind of like back when I was shooting MII and you couldn’t pre-roll over a field edit. Weird, though.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Editing’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.