capturing long clips

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

For those of you who shoot events (of any kind), how do you divide up your long clips when it’s time to capture to the pc (or mac). Is there an advisable or preferred “limit” for clip length?

Participant

I don’t. I need it all so I bring it all in.

Participant

Hi Ophelia –

As I remember you use Vegas – There is a setting to have Vegas capture split the captured video into individual clips based on timecode. That’s usually what I do.

Inactive

I use FCP and I usually give them different mark in and out points

Ashanti Y

Participant

Thanks for the quick responses!

Grinner – your response actually nailed what I was trying to figure out. Inmost cases, I don’t want to divide up my clips, I just didn’t know if this was an action I needed to un-learn.

Birdcat – actually, I was just trying out the Vegas Pro on a trial version – but I do like it.

Participant

back when folks offlined first, logs were the norm. Now, man we just edit shows and can’t waste time with something we can’t use. We edit reality, no matter what we are making, much of the time. For me, this means requiring a shot that wasn’t a shot at all sometimes just to stitch the story together. A swish pan slowed down, a cut away you would have not logged… ect. My tapes are an hour long each. For this reason, most of my raw clips are as well.

Asiistant editors use to capture, log, make notes, ect. (maybe even a rough cut)Now that’s just a waste of budget more often than not. It’shandy to have 8 hours of footage waiting for you in the moring without having to capture but I never needed their notes or descriptions or a timeline I delete. I need to watchthe footageso I can edit the show. More and more we shoot what we edit anyway. The rough cut is in our heads then.

Participant

Cool!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2021

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap