capture video with a cheap minidv camcorder

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have a dvx100b and hate using it to download footage. Is it ok to buy a cheap minidv camcorder to link to my computer to download footage? I always film in SP mode instead of SL mode.
      Any suggestions?

Participant

Absolutely! The video footage, being digital, will not be affected by the camera used to capture it. Get the cheapest thing you can find for your capturing and you will be good to go!

Participant

I could be wrong on this, but I thought that if the cheapo camera didn’t support something like 16-bit audio and you recorded on the DVX in 16-bit, it would be a problem.

I have also been told that transfering to your computer isn’t really the problem, it’s the fast forwarding or rewinding, and I was suggested to get a mini-DV fast forwarder/rewinder (which should be a bit cheaper than a cheap camera).

Of course, you could always get both assuming the cheap camera is compatible (Again, I’m not 100% sure if that is a real problem as you can’t trust everything on the internet!).

Inactive

ralck Wrote:

I have also been told that transfering to your computer isn’t really the problem, it’s the fast forwarding or rewinding,

Old wisdom says – Fast-forwarding and rewinding while playing the video is a great way to shorten the life of your tape heads.
      Simply fast-forwarding and rewinding will not affect the tape heads.-
      But camera heads are much stronger [well made] today than they were however I never fast-forward or rewind while playing.

They make MiniDV tape decks which is a great option for playback and transfer letting you use your camera as a….. Camera.

Participant

hidef1080 Wrote:

They make MiniDV tape decks which is a great option for playback and transfer letting you use your camera as a….. Camera.

Why do MiniDV tape decks cost more than a cheapo consumer camera?

Inactive

Spencer Stewart Wrote:

hidef1080 Wrote:

I guess the keyword is "cheapo" so you tell me…

It’s a tool.
      Some people have a need for it and some people don’t.

Why do some cameras cost 4k plus and some cost 300?

Participant

Spencer Stewart Wrote:

hidef1080 Wrote:

Because it is not a consumer video format. Low volume == high price.

Michael, Canon Elura User Pages

Participant

I bought a Canon ZR 500 from Wal Mart to transfer my Mini DVs Filmed on my Sony 2100 or my Gl2 to the computer by firewire not only that, it has a mic jack to capture audio if I need it in 16 bit, it will also record from my computer, by firewire, to make back ups of my timelines. A little over $200 $16 warranty for two years.

Marvin

Participant

What would be the purpose of buying a miniDV deck over a cheap camera for importing? Apparent the quality of video would be the same. Do miniDV decks have any other significant features?

Participant

Spencer Stewart Wrote:

What would be the purpose of buying a miniDV deck over a cheap camera for importing? Apparent the quality of video would be the same. Do miniDV decks have any other significant features?

They look better in a rack 8)

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap