Capture setting in CS4 for mini-dv

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      svtcobraltd
      Participant

I am using the standard setting for NTSC when importing my footage from the mini dv tapes. However they look real blurry in PP. So i exported part of it and they still look unclear.

The footage was shot with a cannon gl2. Would using a little sony handheld camera with firewire be the reason it is blurry? I have never used play or rewind on the cannon, just record. So I always us the Sony DCR-HC28 to capture my footage from.

hmueller
      Participant

I have used a Canon hv40 to capture footage into PP from a Canon XHA1 without any difficulty, but I assume that is because they are from the same manufacturer. Is there any reason why you cannot capture from your GL2 rather than using the Sony?

svtcobraltd
      Participant

I was told that using the camera to only record makes the heads last longer. I was told rewinding and playing the tapes through is more abuse on it. So I just always have used the Sony camera. Anyone want to set me straight on that?

hmueller
      Participant

When you rewind the tape, the headsare notin contact with the tape so there is no wear on the heads. While in theoryplayingtapes while capturing footage would put extra wear on therecorder heads, the wear is so low that they would easily last the life ofyour camera.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Editing’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN