Capture Question

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello! I’m new here and also a newbie to capturing and editing.

I captured a video of a seaside trip in Premiere Elements from 2 analog tapes via Firewire. Generally this was successful.

However, on one of the videos a black curved portion at the upper right and lower right screen appears. It makes it look as if you’re looking at the scene from a tunnel. Then the black disappears and reappears again at certain times.

I completely erased the captured video from my hard drive and did it another day. The same thing is happening. Some of my best scenes have this curved black on one side of the screen. However, when played back on the monitor of the camcorder and on the TV there is no such thing.

What can I do differently that will make the video come in cleanly?

Thanks for your help!

Inactive

Do you see the same black corners when capturing…(preview).
      If you do then they are most likely something that was captured by your camera outside the “tv safe zone” and therefore not noticeable when you originally watched the tapes. It might also be a shadow, check the footage to see if there are any coorelating factors, which indicate a measurable difference between the black times and the non-black times.

Participant

Thanks for your reply Jonathan. Yes, the black portions are there when it’s being captured.

What is the “tv safe zone”?

I will check the footage again.

Participant

Sounds like the lens hood got in the wide shots. BUt fear not. YOur computer shows you full aperture. In other words it shows you the entire picture and not the cropped picture that will be seen on a Tv. Does your edit system have picture and title safety markers. If it does. See if the black is outside of picture safety. If it is, then don’t worry about it.

Participant

Walter, I’ll have to check the program about the picture and safety markers. I’m now learning it, so these terms are new to me.

Thanks also Compusolver, I’ll also check your suggestion.

Participant

So to help you out. When you shoot video and watch it on a Tv, yo don’t really see all of the picture. Part of it is masked by the part that covers the edge of the tube. But on your computer screen you see right to the edges including stuff you don’t see on a regular TV. Editing software has safety markers that you can use to see what the edge of a picture will be on a TV set and what we call title safety. What editing software are you using?

Participant

Adobe Premiere Elements.

Participant

Keep in mind that safe zone is a guide and different tvs can vary as far as how much they cut off. And BTW Premiere elements should have a safe guide. Look for a button that looks kind of like a square crosshairs under the program monitor.

Participant

I could not find a manual online but I did see some screen captures which showed both title and picture safety overlays on a screen grab. It was in a screen shot of Title Designer. Here is the picture:

http://www.bluesky-web.com/junk4.jpg

See those two white overlays on the screen? THe inside one is called title safety and all titles should be made to fall within the box. The outside white lined box is picture safety and all picture that you want to make sure is seen on your TV should be within this. Read the manual and see how to turn these markers on so you see them all the time.

Participant

Endeavor Wrote:

Keep in mind that safe zone is a guide and different tvs can vary as far as how much they cut off. And BTW Premiere elements should have a safe guide. Look for a button that looks kind of like a square crosshairs under the program monitor.

not enough to matter. There is actually an industry standard for masking. Picture safety is about 10%. That is what the safety marks are for. If you stay in them you will guarantee safety. BUt outside of them and you may loose either titles or picture hat you want to include.

Participant

Terrific!! πŸ˜€ After searching the Help section, I clicked “More” on the Monitor window, selected “safe zone” and it displayed the two white boxes on the screen (which your screen shot showed) and the safe zone area has the whole scene showing fine with the tunnel-like areas outside of the safe zone. So my recording is intact!!

Thanks, you guys are a great help!! πŸ™‚

Participant

not enough to matter. There is actually an industry standard for masking. Picture safety is about 10%. That is what the safety marks are for. If you stay in them you will guarantee safety. BUt outside of them and you may loose either titles or picture hat you want to include.

I agree that you will be fine if you stick to the guidelines but what I mean is that some tvs cut off more than that. I have 2 TVs I use as monitors and one cuts off a noticealbe amount more (the cheaper one).

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders β€” 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap