capture dv with separate external audio

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing capture dv with separate external audio

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Does Premiere (or any software) allow external audio capture (i.e mixer->soundcard) WHILE capturing video, or does it only allow for audio from the DV device?

Participant

I know Final Cut allows you to record audio coming in from a mixer. For example, you can connect a mic to a mixer and then connect the mixer to your computer. From there you record something like VO or whatever.

However, I don’t think you can do that AND capture a DV tape (or capture anything) at the same time. You have to do one and then the other.

Participant

What is your goal in capturing both at the same time? Robert is correct that you can capture audio and video separately via Firewire connected device. There are also audio/video mixing boards that can be used to combine video and audio signals prior to capture. In most cases it is easiest and less expensive to capture the audio and video separately and then combine and sync in Premiere, depends on what your goal is.

Participant

It’s the same in Premiere and Vegas. It seems the only capturable audio is the audio coming from the camera.

Does anyone know if this is due to AV syncing issues? I’d think this would be fairly basic functionality to offer but I can’t find it anywhere, as an option in a package or as a standalone.

Participant

Most creators of video editing software do not see this as very practical and functional. Depending on the processing power, the computer most likely has enough drag from the DV capturing process itself. Digital video along with analog audio capture would have to be on two seperate processes, if they are done simultaneously. Windows Movie Maker has a function for capturing analog video with a seperate sound device.

Finally, most editing software has a voice-over recording feature that can be used while playing an imported video clip.

Participant

Don’t know for certain but possibly using a Blackmagic DeckLink card??? There’s a nice review in September 09’s Videomaker magazine.

http://www.videomaker.com/article/14045/

Participant

One of the Black Magic cards may be a solution, still depends on what will be connected, what will be capturing and what the overall goal is.

Participant

Chuck, the project is a podcasted music show in the style of a radio show, mostly music but with (pseudo-live) voiceovers at the breaks. So while it’s not actually live it needs to recorded as if it were. I can run sound from an external mixer to the camera’s mic input, but then the audio comes in as one mix. The goal is to have the vocal track separate from the music (for later effects processing), so I’d prefer to capture it via software (Premiere, Vegas, etc.) directly from the mixer.

Perhaps, I’m going about this the wrong way? I was also hoping to avoid syncing, but if that’s easier than what I’m asking then I’ll go that route.

Participant

You can capture whatever is connected to the camcorder audio, along with the video, using Premiere or Vegas. Then you would connect the Mic to the sound card and capture that using audio software like Audacity or Cakewalk. You still have to put them together later and sync them up but there is no way to capture multiple tracks of audio simultaneously without some pretty serious equipment.

Participant

Chuck, thanks for your help on this. And thanks to others as well. I had assumed this could be done with software and without the need for external equipment, thanks for clearing that up.

I experimented with syncing over the weekend …much simpler than I had imagined.

Matt

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lenses for video — 2021

Lenses are key to making your favorite camera create the images you envision. These are the best lenses for video available today.
homicide-bootstrap