Canon XL2 or Sony FX1

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Im currently doing some homework on the XL2 and the FX1 and have not yet decided on which to go with… I know the difference between both is the HD on the FX1. For those of you who have either one of these camera. Enlighten me with why you like either your XL2 or FX1. I was leaning towards the FX1 just because of its HD technology. I went on Canon’s site and found a device, the the Firestore FS4 which is a handy tape free device which is compatible with the XL2, that started leaning me over to the XL2. So for those XL2 and FX1 gurus out there, enlighten me with your inputs.

Inactive

The way I see it, the XL2 and the FX1 are two completely different cameras. What I mean is the FX1 is all interlaced and progressive SD and HD video, and the XL2 does interlaced and progressive SD and 24P also. The XL2 is better for flimmaking whereas the FX1 is better for just video IMO.

Participant

Rocktooloud Wrote:

The way I see it, the XL2 and the FX1 are two completely different cameras. What I mean is the FX1 is all interlaced and progressive SD and HD video, and the XL2 does interlaced and progressive SD and 24P also. The XL2 is better for flimmaking whereas the FX1 is better for just video IMO.

I agree. πŸ˜€

Inactive

It basically depends on how much you want to invest in your cameras gear. If you can see yourself doing a lot of sports (just one example) then an XL anything would be better since you can switch out lens’. If you just want a stand alone HD camera the FX would be the obvious choice.
      Perhaps this will help you answer your own question as well. What editing software are you using? If you don’t have software capable of capture NTSC 24p or 1080i then getting either one of those cameras would be a waste. Sincer your “beautiful” 24 or HD picture will just be converted to good old DV.

Inactive

You mention software capable of editing in 24P or 1080i , do you know if final cut is capable. Looking at purchasing FX1

Participant

The new FCP studio version is compatible with both formats. I have done some research on it as well. Im leaning towards the XL2. Im hoping since the new Canon H1 is out, the XL2 will have a drop in price.
      *crossing fingers*.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best micro four thirds lenses β€” 2021

MFT, or micro four thirds, is a popular mount style used by many manufacturers in conjunction with the micro 4/3 sensor. It’s good to keep in mind that micro four thirds camera systems use a smaller sensor.
homicide-bootstrap