Canon XF100 or Panisonic AG-HMC150 ?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Ive narrowed my video camera selection to Canon XF100 or Panasonic AG-HMC150.

Ill be using the camera to film a fishing show for cable TV. Both cameras have received great reviews. Heres how the specs compare:

Panasonic 3CCD vs CMOS

AVCHD vs MXF files

SD vs compact flash

4:2:0 vs 4:2:2

The XF100 is a newer camera (jan 2011), the AG-HMC150 has been out since late 2008.

Any recommendations which one is better overall?

Participant

How’s the rolling shutter on the XF100?

In spite of all the pro/con comments and supporting statements that infer CMOS isn’t all “that” bad, I’d go with a CCD unit, budget permitting. Even if the HMC150 is an older model it’s an established tool of the trade and much appreciated among many pros in the business.

Participant

I have never played with the Canon but I really love my HMC 150 and it is fantastic in low light situations. Check out B & H Photo they have some really good package deals on them.

Participant

I know the price point you’re at right now and it’s a difficult one. The Sony NX5u is old and the NX70u is great, but a little short on “pro” features. However, like the Sony, the Canon XF-100 uses the came CMOS sensor (and basically the same lens) that they put in their $1,500 consumer camera. Have you checked out the Panasonic AG-AC130? It’s about $4,000 and should come out this month. It has a serious 3-chip CMOS sensor and a HQ 20x wide/tele lens, plus pro features the Canon doesn’t have. I think it’ll blow away both the Canon and the aging 150 (imo). I’ve decided to go with an NX70u, but we’re probably doing different things. http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/sales_o/broch_pdf/ag-ac160_130.pdf

Participant

XF100 can record on two cards. i’m not so sure about the HMC150.

because of the 3chip and newer CMOS and the 2-card recording, i’d go with the Panasonic AG-130 which is available now as i post.

also on the same boat of deciding which to upgrade to. my 2-cents

Participant

We now have two of the XF100 cameras in our arsenal and love them – they have perform exactly as we expected with no buyer remorse. Next camera purchase will be the XF305.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap