Canon XF100

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am on the verge of purchasing the Canon XF100. Its specs are great and I favour the smaller size. However, I am uneasy with its codec. It is here that I call on my peers and seniors to give me objective advice regarding this cam but in particular, the codec. It shoots in the broadcast codec MPEG2 Long GOP @ 50Mbps and with 4:2:2 colour sampling.

I am only familiar with the 17Mbps AVCHD of my currentSony handicam, which I am happy with. Please express your opinions, good or bad. I need to know if there is a caveat before I place the order.

(PS. The Sony HXR-NX5 and the Panasonic HMC 154 are/were on my shortlist. Here in South Africa these two are similarly priced to each other but cost much more than the Canon.)

Participant

What editing software are you using?

Participant

I am using Serif’s MoviePlusX5. Serif has confirmed that their package handles footage from the XF305 without any problems. The XF100 uses the same codec.

Participant

Well, here’s an interesting review of the XF100’s big brother, which uses the same compression scheme

http://www.biscardicreative.com/blog/2010/11/testing-the-canon-xf305-camera/

…could be useful

Participant

Rob, not such good news. I shall look around to find more tests.Panasonic is not well represented here and their prices are high. The DVCPro cams simply costs way above what I am willing to spend. The reality for meis either Canon or Sony.

Participant

Yea, I was surprised when I read that review. Canon usually has it together.

If I were limited to consumer/prosumer level cameras, I think I’d lean toward Sony. They seem to be the best at low light performance. Therefore, if you give the camera plenty of light, you should have a nice image.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap