Canon vs Sony vs Panasonic for motocross

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey all-

I’ve been looking at the Canon GL2, Sony DCRVX2100, and Panasonic Pro AG DVC30. They’re all between $1300-$2000. Any opinions on which would be best to shoot fast action motocross? Am I even looking at the right cameras? $2000 is really stretching it. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Participant

i’d suggest the VX2100. While all these are great cameras, the VX probably shoots the best under low light. I know you plan on shooting motocross, but you never know, maybe one day you’ll have to shoot under low light. So why not be ready for it.

Participant

Yes, there is one place that’s indoors, but 99% will be outdoors, so I’d rather stick with the camera that’as best for shooting outdoors, but thanks for the opinion.

Participant

Well all the cameras are great for shooting outdoors. If someone can’t shoot a decent image outdoors, chances are it’s human error and not the technology. Cameras don’t struggle outdoors, unless it’s really humid or really cold. Even in those situations, I’m sure the cameras you listed would react the same way.

Participant

The Panasonic is like a combination of the the GL2 and VX2100. It has a movie-simulation mode which is similar to the GL2’s cine-frame mode and it has better low light capabilities like the Sony.

The Sony however has larger 1/3″ CCD’s whereas the Pansonic has 1/4″ CCD’s and as rob stated has better low lux capability.

I typically would go with the VX2100, but consideringthat you’re not too conserned with the low light,you wouldbe just as happy with the panasonic….It’s cheaper too.

You may just want to consider a prosumer HD camera fora couple hundred bucks more.

I seen the newer Sony FX7 1080i HD 3cmos for around $1800 – I think you’d be happy with it.

Participant

I’ll check out the FX7, but don’t I need to upgrade all my peripheral equipment as well, i.e. DVD burners, etc?

Iforgot to ask – which is the best point and shoot camera? Meaning, once the white balance is set, which records best in auto mode?

Participant

> “I’ll check out the FX7, but don’t I need to upgrade all my peripheral equipment as well, i.e. DVD burners, etc?”

The FX 7 makes the transition to HD more convenient by allowing you to record in both HDor Standard Definition. Though it is nice to have a powerful computer,today’s standard computers can hadle moderate HD projects. Most NLE’s now support HD.

You will still beable to use your current DVD Burner even if you shoot in HD.HD video can still be used to make a Standard Defition DVD…Some people claim that HD converted to SD is still better than regular SD.

Also, if you shoot in HD instead of SD, you can always down convert the footage to SD if needed.

I have a buddythat always shoots eventsin HD eventhoughsome customers just want SD…It’s always nice to have the HD footage for future use if needed and it makes a great selling point.

> “Iforgot to ask – which is the best point and shoot camera? Meaning, once the white balance is set, which records best in auto mode?”

I think all four of the camerasfunction on the smae principle and will require an equal amount of competance to operate.

Participant

I wouldn’t by into HD if I were you. You’ll be spending more money than you need to. Coreece’s friend most likely makes money shooting events, therefore he owns a business. So it does make sense for him to shoot HD. But for someone who is making videos for their own viewing pleasure, stick with SD.

Thats just my advice. Do what you want.

Participant

SD SUX.

Participant

Um..not that I want to start a bigargumenthere, or be rude, but when people claim that equipment, or formats, or technology, or anything sucks, it’s usually the person making the statement who sucks. We’ve been working with SD since the beginning of TV, and like I always say, we were able to make it look good then, so there is no reason why you can’t now. Buy into HD if you want, I don’t care. But don’t turn around and state that SD sucks. That’s ignorant.

Participant

I consider this type of dialog as ‘informatuional bantering’, not arguing. Every industry has lines drawn in the sand – with dirt bikes it’s the two stroke vs. four stroke debate. I appreciate both points of view.

I think SD is fine, especially for my audience,butif I’m spending $1600 on an SD camera and the HD is a $1800, at that point I might be tempted to go with the HD.

Participant

> “We’ve been working with SD since the beginning of TV”

Correct, and now that there is better technology out there, its time to grow up.

Anyone with an IQ over 100 would see the point I was trying to make…I’m glad CC got it.

I use SD all the time….but it still Sux. Guess that makes me stupid and ignorant….but at least I’m not blind yet.

lol

Inactive

I film motocross to, I just bought a GL 2, i havnt really filmed any motocross with it yet because of all the snow. Im heading down to florida to ride and race for a few weeks, i’ll be filming the whole time i’ll let u know how good the camera is at shooting mx and i’ll have alot of footage that I can show.

Participant

i’ll let u know how good the camera is at shooting mx

OK, thanks. Wish I was going! I’ve about had it with the snow here in NY!!!!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses — 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap