Canon Vixia HF200

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

So I’m considering buying the Canon Vixia HF200 for shooting things like local soccer, the news, etc. (on a budget right now). Any thoughts or experience with the camera? These are probably obvious, but I just have a few questions:

1. Can more flash memory be added? What’s the most you can add?
      2. Can the audio levels be adjusted manually?
      3. Easy to fit onto a tripod?

4. Any good ad on mics?

Thanks in advance!

EarlC

“Capture outstanding high definition video directly to a removable SDHC Memory Card with the VIXIA HF200. It’s easy and convenient – you can then remove the card and place it into your computer or HDTV’s card reader slot for immediate viewing. You can also use higher capacity memory cards to further increase the video storage of your VIXIA HF200. It’s a fast and simple way to share your memories.”

Canon info page here.

Rex
      Participant

I own two of these cameras.

1. I use San Disk 32 gb class 4 sd cards. Those are the only I recommend. I don’t think their is a limit on the size of sd memory but I do know that you shouln’t go higher then class 4 I believe.

2. There are two options when it comes to audio. Option 1 is uncompressed, Option 2 well compress and make sure sound level don’t go out of control.

3. Fits any tripod.

4. I use the Audio Technica Pro-88w wireless. The receiver plugs right into the mic input on the camrea.

All in all these are great introductory cameras. Canon lenses are awesome, they capture a crisp and beautiful picture. However, this particular camera does make colors a little more vibrant and unrealistic. Some people like that, some don’t. But you can tone it down within any NLE software.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions shoot. Everybody here is very helpful.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks for the replies, I’m looking to get one used from eBay.

A few questions:

1. How does it perform in low-light?

2. Will it work with cards like these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820171291

3. How long can it go on a full battery charge and an empty SD card?

Rex
      Participant

1. I can’t answer with specifics but I can say that it has performed decently for me. I shoot weddings and they tend to be dimly light and I still get great detail.

2. I don’t think that that card will work. Here is what I use

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171359&cm_re=sandisk_32gb-_-20-171-359-_-Product

3. The stock battery fully charged will last 95 minutes. There are two other batteries that canon make each slightly large than the previous with more charge.

the 32 gb card, depending on the record mode, can last from 2 to 6 hrs.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks again.

Any thoughts on the Canon Vixia HF R100?? I hear it has better Optical Zoom, but that’s about it. And the Zoom sounds like if it goes past 15x, it starts to distort.

Anonymous
      Inactive

And the Vixia HF M31 seems to do better in low light conditions, but does it have everything the HF200 has? I’ll check the Canon page now.

Rex
      Participant

The HF M31 captures at 3.9 megapixels @1080×1920, while the HF r100 captures at 2.3 megapixels @ 1080×1920. However, The HF200 captures @ 3.89 megapixels @ 1080×1920. If you have a budget I would stick with the HF200. But that’s just my opinion. I saw a few online retailers had them refurbished for 399. I own a refurb and t works just fine. No problems.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’m now looking for a few accessories, and I was wondering if there any good lens hoods out there that protects the lens and also blocks out sun reasonably well??

Anonymous
      Inactive

Re: microphones, I have used both a Shure shotgun mic and a Zoom U2 field recorder with my HF 200 and my HF 10 with great sounding results when doing a multi camera shoot of a local play

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best 360 cameras available — 2021

360-degree video is a brand new medium driven by new 360 camera technology. However, its immersive qualities create unique technological challenges.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN