Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews › Forums › Cameras and Camcorders › Consumer Camcorders › Canon Mic for Vixia HF S21
- This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 years, 9 months ago by Anonymous.
- May 10, 2010 at 1:52 PM #45947AnonymousInactive
We just bought a Canon Vixia HF S21 Camcorder. We wanted to buy an
external microphone for it. The only one that Canon has is the DM-100,
but it is out of stock every where including Canon. Canon forces you to
use their equipment with this camcorder, so we are kind of stuck. Are
there any adapters that will allow us to use other external microphones
with this camcorder. I have read a little about cold shoe adapters, but
don’t know a whole lot about them.
- May 10, 2010 at 11:29 PM #190000pseudosafariMember
This is an interesting question. I thought my Sony was the only proprietary type camera out there (use OUR products, only). Sorry I don’t have input for you but I, too, am insterested in hearing what others say.
I bought some Sony products for mine but ended up using a separate digital recorder with external mics for most stuff.
- May 11, 2010 at 1:17 PM #190001HFS10DudeParticipant
Nope – is the short answer, I have the HFS10 (awesome camera) with the same issue!!
- May 14, 2010 at 12:35 PM #190002birdcatParticipant
According to Canon you have a stereo mini-jack (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=177&modelid=19827#ModelTechSpecsAct). You should be able to hook up an external mic from anyone (I hear good things about the Rode VideoMic) that provides the same type of jack.
I have used external microphones with several “consumer” grade videocameras using this same input jack.
- May 14, 2010 at 5:28 PM #190003pseudosafariMember
What brands are not proprietary like that with consumer-grade camcorders? Anyone know of any where you can use various products, such as Azden mics?
- May 27, 2010 at 5:39 PM #190004
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.