Canon HV40 / Manfrotto problem

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

HI

I recently purchased a Canon HV40 and a matching Manfrotto tripod. While I am very happy with both products, I found that I could not change the battery while the camcorder was on the tripod – the slide plate on the tripod head is too long. I have to take the camcorder off, and remove the slide plate before I can replace the battery.
      Does anyone have a solution? Is there a shorter slideplate or a spacer of some kind?

Thanks
      Heidi

Inactive

What model tripod is it? Manfrotto makes dozens of different heads, many of which with their own unique plate.

If you post a pic, we might be able to give you a better answer too.

Participant

Hi Jim

It is a Manfrotto 701hdv. The problem is that the slide plate totally blocks the battery release clip, and does not allow the battery to be removed.
      I took a photo – it is not very good but shows the problem.

hdv 40 on Manfrotto 701 head

Thanks
      Heidi

It would certainly be a bit of work (major challenge even) but with the right tools, or resource who has them and some engineering/machine shop skills, could perhaps the screw slot of the plate be extended to allow for the camera to mount farther back on the plate, thus clearing a path for battery removal/replacement?

I could not see the top of the plate to know if the slot already extends to its possible range of placement, or if there might be enough room to go another inch or so.

Participant

manfrotto has some shorter quick release plates (ie the ones on the pistol grips) that should fit that head.. however your ability to micro focus by moving the plate inside the head may be compromised. just take it to a camera shop and try it out.

Participant

The slot on the plate is quite long, but the position of the camcorder on the plate is determined by the pin on the plate.

Not necessarily. The pin on all my plates can be overruled one way or another. In many cases they are flexible, or actually removed. While I recognize and appreciate their purpose, use and presence, I am not THAT dependent upon them to keep my camera in position (usually there’s also somewhat skid-resistant surfacing as well) and some of my stuff doesn’t even have one.

Inactive

Yeah, if there’s enough leeway that the camera could slide farther back without the pin, I’d just remove the pin. otehrwise, I dreamed up a contraption when you mentioned this thread that was basically a piece of 3/4 inch thick aluminum with a hole bored into it. Inside that hole, use some jb weld to place a nut at one end that the tripod place can bolt into. on the other end of the plate, jb weld a bolt sticking out just far enough that you can fully seat the camera on the piece of aluminum. It would be crude, but paint it black and nobody would see it, and the 3/4″ should be more than enough to give you clearance.

Participant

Well, I tried it and I could position the camcorder by ignoring the pin. One would have to tighten the screw quite a bit to make sure it does not move around on the plate.

Thanks for the suggestion of the aluminum plate, but I am afraid that is out of my skill set πŸ™

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2021

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap