Canon HF S100 or HV30 for video business?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey all,

I’m looking for a camcorder for my business. My business will be focused mainly on producing real estate video tours where most people will see these videos on the web. At the same time, I might want to enter the corporate market sooner or later producing broadcast-quality commercials. My main question is if the Canon HF S100 with 900 horizontal lines of resolution which is on par to a professional broadcast camera, according to Videomaker, could this camera produce low-budget commercials? Because right now I’m set on either the HV30, which is $300-$400 cheaper than the HF S100, or the HF S100, which in my mind would be able to do low-budget commercials where the HV30 could not. And not only is the HV30 alot cheaper, but I would have to spend more $ on memory cards and new editing software if I went with the HF S100 since I have Adobe Premiere CS3. Any advice or help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

Fully rigged out the HV30 could IMHO most definitely produce quality footage for low-budget web commercials. The HF S100 will give you more, and perhaps need to be less tricked out to do the job, however.

I once was considering getting in on the ground floor of high definition with the HV30, Rhode mic, MicroLight, brace system and Beachtek audio control (about $1,500 total cost) but have since revised my budget and approach to purchase two of the Panasonic HMC 150 SDHC recordable camcorders last quarte of 2009. But I still believe the HV30 (and newer HV40) are a LOT of bang for the bucks and are capable of generating excellent footage for commercial video work, provided you have the editing resources to put you productions together and set them up for web application.

Inactive

Thanks for the input, but let me be more specific. I am buying a camera to produce real estate videos that will be shared on the internet currently. In the future possibly, which this is completely separate from the real estate videos online, I would like to possibly produce commercials on broadcast television for small, local businesses on cable channels. So, would the HF S100 be up to snuff to produce broadcast-quality low-budget commercials? If it’s not, I’ll just go for the HV30, because it’s so much cheaper. But, if it is, I might consider the HF S100. I hope that clarifies. Thanks!

Inactive

Well, I have to say that if used well, a HV30 could produce a broadcast quality commercial. I’d say you could get a better image with the HV30, a good lighting kit, and a very good microphone, for the same cost as the other camera.

Participant

I agree with Evan. The HV30 will do the trick. πŸ˜‰

Inactive

Cool! I was leaning that way anyways with the budget and all. And it will work so much better with my current setup for post. Thanks guys for the advice!

Inactive

yeeeeeeeeeesh…I agree with flogonojo

Hey Boulder, Colorado Busker Alley. Take a a moment, and a breath and make some serious attempts to contribute usable content for the Videomaker Forum. It’s generally acceptable, I suppose, for one-liners, yah hahs and yeeeeeeeshes on occasion, but I personally think that someone who wants the unlimited right to make these kinds of illiterate, non-educational, meaningless posts, should at least occasionally contribute quality content, present a professionally respectul demeanor and offer up useful video-related input/advice. Right?

Participant

I post a thread with a similar topic and someone told me about this one.

Imabout to buy one of those two camcorders (HF S10 – HV40)but im still not shure which one to buy. I have in mind the HFbecause of its internal 32BG and the facility to transfer data to PC, but in the other hand, someone told me that the HV produces a beter imagequality, and that the HDV is better than the AVCHD in therns of bitrates and image qualityalso.

Im so confused about all these,this isthe question that will define which one i willdefinitelybuy.

Inactive

Well, Cyd, some of the main questions I would ask myself if I were you is what am I going to be using the camera for and how will the camera work with my post-production workflow? As far as I’m concerned, after watching many sample videos of HV30 and HF S100/10 on Vimeo, the HF has the upper hand on image quality, but the HV30 isn’t far behind. Also, do you have a beefy computer and editing software to edit AVCHD? HDV, or for that matter, DV on the HV30 will handle alot better on older, slower computers. Also right now, the HV30 is $300-$400 cheaper than the HF S100/10 on http://www.tigerdirect.com. And, the HV30 has better low-light performance according to camcorderinfo.com. So, for almost the same image quality, low-light performance is better, it’s cheaper, easier editing. For me right now, it’s the HV30.

It seems to me, too, that it’s better to wait on brand new technology in general. Wait until the kinks are worked out then after a few years once the technology has matured then see if it’s for you. That’s my 2 cents; take it or leave it.

Participant

Aloha from Maui!

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in the pot. I’m currently doing real estate video on Maui. I started out using a Sony tape system but quickly upgraded to the Sony HDR-SR7 and fell in love with it. Great video quality and having a hard drive instead of the tape was/is wonderful. One thing we kept hearing though was “why don’t you use a professional camera”. As we started moving into more of the small business commercials for the web we got that more and more plus we realized we needed better audio. Hence we have within the last month purchased the Panasonic AG-HMC70. While the bigger camera is taking a little getting used to, we sure do like quality of video and the audio capabilities.

Our first event shoot was over the 4th of July and we were overwhelmed with the response to the new camera. The typical response was “wow, you guys really have upgraded your equipment, it’s good to see that someone is doing well in this economy!”

The picture quality of the Panasonic is no better than what I was getting with the Sony, but the response from our clients and the audio capabilities have made it a very worthwile investment.

I have no experience with the Canon products but am sure that they will perform very well. My only suggestion to you as beginning on the path that I’ve been on for the last 2 1/2 years is to think about how you are percieved when you show up with a small camcorder.

Hope this helps!

Participant

Anyone out there know how to transfer video data from the SDHC card on the HFs100 to an IMAC. I don’t need to edit anything yet, just want to back up the video until I get FINAL CUT 7. I can’t seem to get the MAC to read the Canon when hooked up with the USB

Thanks!

Participant

I have a Canon HF11 which I believe is similar in how it stores the files. I record to the built in 32 GB memory and copy these using the camera to the removable SD. Then I remove the card and copy all of the contents into my computer via a card reader that fits into a USB port. The movie clips can be imported directly into Adobe Premier Elements 7.0, but with Corel I need to capture the clips via the ADCHD folder.

Inactive

I am very new to this hobby and looking for a budget HD camcorder as well. I have heard good things about the HV30 and the videos I have seen from it look great. One question: is the lack of a viewfinder a limitation to be concerned about for hobbyist level shooting?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap