Canon HF S10 Lines of Resolution

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I have a question about the latest Videomaker review of the Canon HF S10. The review says the camera can capture 900 lines of resolution and that it’s on par with a professional broadcast camera. But, I thought when the camera shoots in 1080 HD the lines of resolution would be 1080. So, different HD cameras, even though they shoot at 1080 HD, have different quantities of lines of resolution? If someone could expound upon this, that would be great!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Ok, cool. So, for the HF S10 having 900 lines of resolution the same as a professional broadcast camera, what kind of cameras are those? Would that include cameras like the Canon XL-H1 or Panasonic AG-HMC150? Or even higher end cameras than that? I’m sorry I’m picking your brain like this, I’m just looking into buying a new camera for my business, and I’m just looking at the options. Thanks for the feedback, and you guys do a great mag by the way! Keep it up!

roblewis56
      Participant

I understand your definition of 900 lines of resolution, but if the camcorder is HD doesn’t it record with 1080 lines of resolution? If not, how can they call it HD? Also, what in the specifications for the HF S10 tells you that it has 900 lines of resolution?

Thanks

Anonymous
      Inactive

HD hasdifferent resolutions…starting at 720 lines. Your best bet is to look up the definition of HD at http://www.wikipedia.com

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi,

You are both confusing lines with pixels. A HDTV does not have lines, instead it haspixels. It has 1920 X 1080 pixels. 720P is not referring to lines of resolution but pixels. High definition is not measured by lines of resolution so Canon’s claim is misleading because there aren’t any lines of resolution on a high definition display.

roblewis56
      Participant

Hi dools, You are the first to describe this correctly. However it is not Canon that is misleading but the Videomaker review

Anonymous
      Inactive

Oh yes I stand corrected, it is the Videomaker review that describes the camera resolution in terms of lines of resolutionwhereas Canon only mentions that it’s full HD at 1920 X 1080. It creates confusionto readers because we’re talking apples and oranges.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Consumer Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN