Canon HD

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

well it has finally happened; Canon has released their HD camera the XL H1.
      The body looks like the XL 2 but it is black and can also serve as a high end digital camera for those who are still imaged challenged.

With about 24 features that can serve the shooter it seems quite interesting. But I have never been one for Canon so i mostly posted this for opinions on it.

The hefty price it comes with is 9,000 dollars; so what do you guys think?

Inactive

I’ll be waiting to upgrade to HD next year. It allows all those tru vid geeks out there to try the stuff first and discover the bugs. Other than that the CanonHD “looks” cool. It seems they’ve grabbed all their favorite options from their competitor’s HD cameras and slapped them in a black XL-2 case. Not that I’m complaining. If could get one for a couple thousand, i’d do it. I was glad to see they upgraded their lense this time around. Also, Having the swappable preferences featre is nice too. If the price were half of what it is, I buy it in a heartbeat. I was a bit confused from the info on the website as to whether they still had XLR plugs on it. They have the digital audio plugs listed, but…

Participant

The canon HD camera isn’t really HD anyway, Im pretty sure it is just 1080 interlaced. There is a visual diffrence.

Participant

DVine Wrote:

The canon HD camera isn’t really HD anyway, Im pretty sure it is just 1080 interlaced. There is a visual diffrence.

1080i IS HD.

Inactive

I didn’t think that sounded right… Thanks for the clarification.

Participant

1080 Interlaced is not the same as HD. Thats why when you look at JVC’s version of HD and then the DVCPRO HD there is a significant color diffrence.

TRUE HD is 1080 p not i. True High Definition is progressively scanned not just interlaced.

There are actually three forms of HD in the industry currently:

1080 i – This is High Resolution

1080 p – THIS is high Def

720 p – Which is HD and progressive as well.

I was just saying that the Canon HD is actually just high res not True HD.

Inactive

Either Way, I can’t afford it right now…

:-//

By the way doesn’t the JVC prosumer HD cam have a headphone thingy next to the viewfinder? I thought that was nifty when I saw it. Both of these cameras have the memory card preference switching options… which is my biggest need right now.

Participant

The little JVCs’ are doing well right now. I haven’t seen the one with the jack next to the viewfinder.

Hope your camera hunt goes well. Didn’t mean to get catty about the HD thing.

Participant

That is correct, 1080i, 720p, and 1080p are all high definition formats.

Inactive

The JVC’s GY-HD100U is the one I saw…

Participant

I would love to get one of those h1s but the market for HD is just not strong enough to support the transition for me yet. Maybe I’ll rent one to try it out though.

Participant

Either way progressive looks better than interlaced. Thats what my argument is mostly about.

The Canon HD is an industry joke.

Inactive

IF I had the 9,000 to spend on a mini DV camcorder I think I would just hold out for 2,000 more and get a DVC Pro. That’s just me.

Participant

THE NEW CANON HD IS A JOKE WHAT A WASTE TO COME OUT WITH A CAMERA THAT IS INTERLACE IF THEY WOULD HAVE AT LEAST GONE WITH 720P THEY WOULD HAVE MORE THAN LIKELY BEEN THE TOP DOG! INTERLACE STILL HAS PROBLEMS WITH FAST PANS WITH THE CAMERA WHAT A WASTE WHEN I FINALY UP GRADE MY CAMERA SO FAR FOR THE MONEY ITS JVC ALL THE WAY. PANASONIC IS UGLY AND TO EXPENSIVE.

Participant

I would assume by the caps lock you are a very angry person….angry…

^-^

Dumb Canon…

Participant

Not a made person just disapointed I really was looking forward to buying a Canon, but they missed the boat with a interlace camera. The Camera has alot of grate features just like it’s always had, but it’s over priced! To be honest if it were a progressive scan camera I would probabley step up and buy it, that is the second year its been out. JVC though not my first choice in manufacturers has really gone the rout of the markets demand now we just need to see that the quality of thier camera is really what they claim it to be if so, I will be the proud owner of a 2006 GY-HD100U X-D

Participant

You know, For a long time i’ve heard friends in the industry tell me that JVC stands for “Junk Video Company”… no matter how good their cameras sound, i can’t bring myself to ever seriously think of buying one…after my experience with the DV5000…yeah, i’ll stick with Sony and Canon myself. I’m quite excited about the live options for that Canon HDV cam with the Genlock and HD-SDI output!

Inactive

I agree with i43 Productions. The XL H1 is awesome! Have any of you even seen it in person? I saw it at Samy’s camera. Beautiful.

Inactive

I have an XL@. And had the XL1s. Both have been good to me. Al though I do admit they feel like there going to fall apart. My Xl1s acually did! The new HD1 is WAY to much money. And no 24P??? I thought thats why we were buying these things! Because we wanted stuff to look like film. For the price of this camera you could acualy shoot film! The JVC is literaly half the price and twice the camera. I’ve been in the canon club for a long time. But my next chunk of chang is going to JVC.

Inactive

I have an XL@. And had the XL1s. Both have been good to me. Al though I do admit they feel like there going to fall apart. My Xl1s acually did! The new HD1 is WAY to much money. And no 24P??? I thought thats why we were buying these things! Because we wanted stuff to look like film. For the price of this camera you could acualy shoot film! The JVC is literaly half the price and twice the camera. I’ve been in the canon club for a long time. But my next chunk of chang is going to JVC.

Inactive

Yeah JVC is new to the game. And honestly I felt the same way. But DUDE this camera (JVC) is SWEET!!! It does everything that the Canon con do and more. I’ve used them both. The HD1 is esentially a black XL2. Wich I own. The JVC just feels good. It feels solid. a lot of thought went in to making it. A few years ago who would have though Panasonic would be a contender. But here they are. Times change bro.

Participant

I think you ment who would have thought jvc would be a contender and your right for the money the gy-hd100u is the player all the way and I bet that at the nab in Vegas this year the new model or 2006 comes out with a better lense as standard how awsome would that be and I also bet apple adds 720 24p editing to final cut pro 5 I will be at nab this year in april and this is what I will be looking for going to buy at the show the 2006 gy- hd100u or what ever the 2006 is going to be called! X-D

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to choose the right computer for video editing: 4 key specs to check

Buying the best workstation for your needs means understanding how the CPU, GPU, RAM and storage options work together to enhance overall performance.
homicide-bootstrap