Canon GL2 vs. Sony VX-2100

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m most likely to purchase one of these but need some help on which one would be my best choice. The camera will be for filming fast action sequences such as freeride biking, snow & mountain boarding, and skateboarding. There may be times when I’ll be in low light situations, and I’ve heard the sony is better in this area, but this shouldn’ t the major deciding factor. I want good picture resolution and quality, something thats crisp and sharp. Does anyone have any personal experiences or suggestions about these cameras? Basically which one would you prefer and why? Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!

Nick

Oh and if I left out any information you may need let me know. πŸ˜€

Participant

Haha yeah, actually we’ve had some major wind so all the leaves are pretty much gone :'( . But hopefully I’ll have the camera in time to film the beautiful winter scenery πŸ˜€ . Anyway… thanks for the advice. You say you have used the vx-2100’s, do you think it would work good in my area of filming? You explained the built in lens cap, which is definitly a plus, but is there anything else that may set one camera apart from the other? I’ve heard to stay away from sony, but is this camera really that bad? Just comparing these two cameras, which one do you believe is the better buy for my type of filming?

Participant

I’ve been using Sony for about 10 years and recently purchased a PD170. Love the camera…. πŸ˜€

Participant

Any other suggestions? Sony over Canon? Thanks.

Nick!!!!!

Participant

I’ve used both of these, and I own a GL2. It’s more portable and preferable for skateboarding and sports. Make sure you get the really cheap (price, not quality) Canon brand 0.7 zoom-through lens; I haven’t taken it off yet.

Participant

Hey thanks for the help!!! I’m pretty sure that the Canon GL2 is the direction that I am steering towards right now, I think I’ve made up my mind. Thanks all.

Nick

Participant

I agree also (as a GL2 owner). The GL2 will give you much better color quality outdoors.

Participant

Whoa! I STRONGLY disagree!

That just reminded me of the "I strenuously object!" line from A Few Good Men. X-D

I had a feeling you would chime in when I said that. I guess I should elaborate on what I mean. I agree about the CCD size thing. I am kind of disapointed that the GL2 has smaller ones (tee hee). I should also say that I haven’t used the VX2100 personally but I have seen footage from the VX2100 and I still think the GL2 looks better in good lighting. That’s just my humble opinion though, maybe that would change if I had the opportunity to use a VX2100 for myself.

Oh, one more thing: The smaller CCDs are the reason the GL2 does not do that well in low light.

Participant

Alright, I know that the vx2100 does better in low light, and possibly better in image quality, but is there enough difference that if I decide to get the GL2 I’ll be dissapointed? The zoom would definitely come in handy on the the GL2 so thats another plus. How do these cameras stack up against one another in filming fast action sequences, and snow and woods conditions? It needs to be dependable, and able to take some abuse.

Why is this decision so hard!!!!

Participant

If I had to choose either low light or zoom, I think I would go with the low light, thus getting the sony. But I was thinking, if I get Canon, I’ll save some money and with that money I could buy a light. Would this be a good comparison to the sony in low light? I mean will the light work when I’m outdoors shooting someone snowboarding at night? Or any sport like skateboarding and biking at night? I’m thinking this might be the best way to get both things I want and at the most cost effeective way. Is this a good Idea?

Participant

mtnbkr28 Wrote:

If I had to choose either low light or zoom, I think I would go with the low light, thus getting the sony. But I was thinking, if I get Canon, I’ll save some money and with that money I could buy a light. Would this be a good comparison to the sony in low light? I mean will the light work when I’m outdoors shooting someone snowboarding at night? Or any sport like skateboarding and biking at night? I’m thinking this might be the best way to get both things I want and at the most cost effeective way. Is this a good Idea?

Just remember, lights eat batteries. Night skiing/boarding would work pretty good with my sony, but only when your around the light polls. If you try to video as they pass into the dimmer areas between light polls, you might have a bit of trouble. That is where your idea of a light would come in handy.

One of the things you should really concider is a thermal blanket or cover for your camera. The cold will freeze up your lense. It froze mine a few times and the condensation issues can not be ignored either. When it was time for me to go in to warm up, I usually left my camera fully covered and insulated best I could so that it wouldn’t warm up to much. Try to keep the camera just above freezing and don’t let it warm up to room temp. until your done shooting. If it is well below freezing, the cold temp are going to be a problem… :'(

I know that you didn’t ask about this, but for shooting while skiing, try using what I call a dog’s view camera holder. I’ll try to find the link to the site that sells them. They hold the camera down by the snow (like a dog’s view), and it gives you a really neat footage of the speed of the snow going by.

Participant

I know that you didn’t ask about this, but for shooting while skiing, try using what I call a dog’s view camera holder. I’ll try to find the link to the site that sells them. They hold the camera down by the snow (like a dog’s view), and it gives you a really neat footage of the speed of the snow going by.

Yeah RB that would be cool, I’d love to see it if you could fine the link πŸ˜€
      I think my choice on a camera is pretty much at the point where I can decide without hesitation. I think I can save up a little more money, buy the Sony, because after weighing the differences, I think I would need low light capabilities more than the more zoom. Plus in the future if I really need the zoom I can get a telephoto lens… Right?

Thanks all!!!
      Nick

Participant

That’s too bad. I just listed a GL2 for sale on ebay. Could turn out to be a great deal! πŸ˜€

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190054037825

(sorry for the plug, I figured one spam post in 400 aint too bad X-D )

Participant

That’s too bad. I just listed a GL2 for sale on ebay. Could turn out to be a great deal!

Haha just checked it out, would have been a great deal but looks like I was a little too late…

Participant

I am in the same boat I am a video photographer going to do weddings and special events and looking at both cameras the sony is good for low light and the cannon is good for some things, But I would like to hear from a wedding photographers that use both cameras and let me know what they think any help would be greatful
      thank you

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera β€” 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap