Canon GL2 question

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I own a canon gl2. I used a panasonic in film school and not my gl2 so im kinda in the dark with my gl2. My question is how can I make it look like film. I need to know how to set my camcorder to film in 24fps. Basically how can I set my camera up to look like film?

Participant

Sorry Cody, the GL2 does not natively record in 24fps.
      If you want your footage to look more like film, other than lighting, I would say having a shallow depth of field helps produce that look.

You can do this in two ways: Aperture size, and focal length.
      Most likely you learned about this in film school, a longer focal length and lower f-stop create a shallow depth of field.

If you want an even narrower depth of field, you might want to look into 35mm adapters. Here’s a youtube video of a somewhat typical consumer camera (the sony HC1) with a letus 35mm SLR lens adapter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F93L6tmj76s

Letus sells 35mm lens adapters, but there are some site that say how to build them yourself for around $300.

Participant

Everything SpencerStewart said it correct. You could also try to shoot your projects more film-like as well. for instance, do more dolly shots rather than zoom. You can shoot in widescreen with the GL2, but it’s not native 16×9, so i wouldn’t recommend it. I would just shoot 4×3 and use the 16×9 guides so you can letterbox the image in post. Also, in post you can lower the black levels and push the saturation to create a more film-look. Shooting 24p isn’t the only thing to make your video look film-like. In my opinion, it would be the least of my worries.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Canon lenses — 2021

There are a number of Canon lenses on the market for both their DSLR and mirrorless cameras, these are our picks for EF, EF-S and RF mounts.
homicide-bootstrap