Canon GL2

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Im looking to buy a camera in the $1000-3000 range. I came across this GL2 and thought that I was going to get it, but after reading a lot of reviews on it, it seems to have some problems. There was a ton of complaints concering a tape messege error. Can anyone give me some advice on whether or not I should get this camera? Also should I go HDV or just stick with the regular cameras. Thanks

Inactive

First of all welcome to the maash-pit of videography.

I’m a special event shooter and currently have 2 GL2s. I really like them and to this date I have not had any problems at all (knock on wood.) Supposedly there is an issue regarding the tape transport system that generates a tape eject error of some kind. I guess Im not 100% sure if this is a direct result of poor engineering, user abuse or a combination of both.

Below is a link that takes you to Cannons website. For the most part you have to keep in mind that DV cameras are very sophisticated by nature. Things can go wrong with them just like they can go wrong with your automobile. If you take care of them, theyll take care of you. I have to think that by now Cannon has taken measures to correct this problem. At least lets hope so if they plan on staying in business.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&keycode=2112&fcategoryid=227&modelid=7512

As far as your second question, I guess it depends on what you’re trying to do. Even then it just comes down to a decision that only you can make. There really is no right or wrong answer.

RAM

Inactive

ok thanks alot. Ill prolly end up getting this camera. I was just wondering if HDV was going to be the thing to get from now on, but I think this has pretty good quality from what I hear.

Inactive

For the money, you have a ton of camcorder options now.
    The VX2100, DVC30, and GL2 are all good bets.

I’ve used many a GL2 in the past, without any tape error messages. I’ve even dumped one into a snow bank (hey, nobody’s perfect) and it came out okay. The hard audio pots are a bonus, too.

We keep hearing rumblings of a GL3 though, so so you may have another DV/ HDV option soon.

-a

Inactive

ok so you would recommend getting the GL2? Its still up to date right because im not sure when it first came out. Ill prolly be making movies but not like professional ones or anything… But I want the best quality for a price under $3000.. thanks again

Participant

I just ordered a 3rd GL2 about an hour ago. I chose that model because I think the color looks better than the others. Although you can do better for low-light, I opted for the better (IMO) overall picture for sufficiently lit situations (99% of them, including almost all weddings). It’s your choice but that’s my 2 cents. Oh, BTW, the best price I found (all 3 times) was at Beach Camera. You can find it here (one other reputable place had it for $100 less but charged $100 more to ship. In my book that’s shady and I won’t deal like that):
    http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/SearchResults.aspx?kwd=gl2&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&Search=Search

Inactive

ok thanks, what about this price, does it seem legitimate?
    http://www.zoommania.com/7920a001.html

or this a reliable website?

Participant

i doubt it seeing as how they don’t have any. lol. Check the shipping prices too. Some places will charge less for the item and then add an extra $100 or so to the shipping.

Inactive

ok

Inactive

in regards to the initial post and the amount intended to spend (1000-3000), i would like to make a recomendation. if HDV is not needed, then go with an Xl2…you can pick one up for 3 grand. that is what i am saving up to do.

Inactive

lbc150 Wrote:

in regards to the initial post and the amount intended to spend (1000-3000), i would like to make a recomendation. if HDV is not needed, then go with an Xl2…you can pick one up for 3 grand. that is what i am saving up to do.

Huh? 😯

Where are you going to get a brand new XL2 for $3000.00 or less? Where ever you’re going to buy this from, is a lens included in that price too?

Unless you’re talking maybe used and even that is kind of low…

Inactive

yea i cant find XL2’s anywhere that are $3000.. If you do know of a place please let me know.

Inactive

alright, i will let the word out. i was thinking about not telling anyone and hoping they would stay in stock until i could save some cash…but i will do my good deed for the day. this is the link…its $2,949 to be exact.

http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=193003&start=1

EDIT: that is with $51 dollars to spare!!! πŸ˜‰

Inactive

wow the GL2 is real cheap on this site too, are you sure they come with all the accessories?

Inactive

i am sure of nothing. i would assume it comes with what is in the box and nothing more…but i am not sure. it seems to be a good deal…but again, i am not sure what exactly it comes with. maybe you can contact them…i haven’t looked into that yet.

EDIT: it says it comes with a tripod, cleaning kit and something else. look closely. there is a toll free number at the top to call as well. give them a holler if you are seriously interested. let us all know how it turned out.

Inactive

lbc150 Wrote:

alright, i will let the word out. i was thinking about not telling anyone and hoping they would stay in stock until i could save some cash…but i will do my good deed for the day. this is the link…its $2,949 to be exact.

http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=193003&start=1

EDIT: that is with $51 dollars to spare!!! πŸ˜‰

lbc150,

Im not telling you what to do but (IMO) something seems fishy about this place. Just for kicks I added that camera to my cart. When I went to view that item in my cart it took me back to that initial XL2 screen with all of those listed package numbers. I could not tell from viewing my cart what I was actually buying and what was all included. In other words it wasn’t real clear if I was getting just the body or the body w/lens let alone the rest of the stuff listed. It just said “Canon XL2”. That web page is very confusing and possibly deceiving. There are also a lot of little disclaimer asterisks sprinkled around. These prices seem ungodly low to me!

When I looked on their customer satisfaction page all of the little posts sounded the same. Its interesting how all of them praised this place. Obviously these were planted and is not a true customer’s sounding board like some Inet merchants have. Are they hiding something???

I also looked on Canon’s website and they are NOT listed as an authorized dealer that I could find. NY has a bunch of them but I couldn’t find their name in the list. That could come back to haunt you down the road. Im not sure how warranties and repairs work by not buying from an authorized dealer. I would find that out.

I talked to a retail store owner a few months ago and asked him how these sites could sell these for so much less. He replied that these cameras could be older versions of overstock or even seconds that didn’t make the cut. Whether that’s true or not I’m not certain.

Lastly, dont you think its kind of interesting that with all of the experienced videographers and all of the experts on this forum that no one has ever mentioned this place before?

Just be careful and good luck!

Inactive

If you check it out in reseller ratings you will find that store is a ripoff, buyer beware. Check it out here

http://www.resellerratings.com/reseller_list.pl?keyword_search=BestPriceCameras.com

Inactive

tom huck and video maniac,

good looking out guys. the prices are really low….and it is tempting…but you both make good points. i think i will steer clear.

its a bummer, everything that sounds too good to be true usually is. its a shame people are out there who care about nothing but making money and are willing to screw anyone to get it. whatever, i am sure everyone knows that already.

An XL2 is still on my list, but from a different place.

Inactive

lbc150 Wrote:

its a bummer, everything that sounds too good to be true usually is. its a shame people are out there who care about nothing but making money and are willing to screw anyone to get it. whatever, i am sure everyone knows that already.

You are so true! Unfortunatly that’s what it’s coming down too.

No problem… everyone here likes to look out after each other for the common good.

TomHuck-wa: Nice job with the web site. I knew there had to be something like this out there but I had trouble pinning it down. WOW! 😯 I couldn’t believe all of the negative posts regarding that website vendor. Sounds like they should be shut down. I’m sure your site will come in handy for everyone on this forum.

RAM

Inactive

Something about Best Buy Camera doesn’t pass the “smell” test. I didn’t see a battery listed until “package one”. Nothing about a charger. I would get some very specific info from these people before buying. And what the heck is “factory fresh”? It might send a signal that some units could be re-furbished. Any company that can’t spell “USA” correctly leaves me with a bit of doubt. Shop carefully and wisely.

• Viewing 19 reply threads

Best Products

Best Products of the Year β€” 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
    homicide-bootstrap