canon gl1. is it a good choice?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

hey, i’m only 15 but i’m realy into filmmaking and videography.

my school has me filming all events, concerts etc, officially for the school and editing etc.

anyway, until now, i’ve used high def hdd camcorders and such, but my friend and i(he’s into filming as much as i am)are trying to move up the scale from camcorders to a prosumer hdv as we feel they dont meet our needs anymore.

as you can assume, were students, so we’re poor obviously.

so my question is, —> is the canon gl1 a good camera for my situation, or is it just too old and outdated….? if so, can you suggest a simuleraly priced camera thats better…?

btw: our price range is about 500, or about $800 if your american.(forgive me if my euro to dollar conversion is off)

thank you,

chris

Rob
      Participant

The GL1 isn’t a bad camera, but I’d try to find a GL2 first. Also note that these aren’t HDV cameras, they shoot DV. There’s nothing wrong with that, even I still shoot DV. Just know that the GL1/2 aren’t HDV.

Might want to look into a Sony’s VX1000, VX2000, VX2100, PD150, and PD170. You may be able to find used ones in your price range.

Anonymous
      Inactive

yeah, ive heard good things about the sony’s though i’m quite attracted by what ive been hearing about the gl’s lens, and i hav’nt heard anything much about the sony’s.

also, the sony may be out of my price range, but i’ll look into that. thanks for the advice!

does anyone else have anything to say? (not saying i wasnt satisfied with robs advice btw =P )

XTR-91
      Participant

anyway, until now, i’ve used high def hdd camcorders and such, but my friend and i(he’s into filming as much as i am)are trying to move up the scale from camcorders to a prosumer hdv as we feel they dont meet our needs anymore.

If you are looking for a higher end camcorder, I wouldn’t give up the hard disk drivefeature. Getting a more expensive Cannon model or checking out JVC’s Everio HD models is my advice.

Anonymous
      Inactive

(to xtr-91)

yeah, but i have a few problems with that idea.

1)- i have my heart set on getting a dv camera at least, because i think its a lot cleaner and better quality.

2)- the point of this question was to find other camera’s comparable to the gl1/2, and frankly point and shoots wont meet a 3 ccd.even if they are hd.

3)- we wont be taken very seriously if we’re seen messing around with consumer point and shoots.

4)- i dont like the file format of jvc’s or panasonic’s. (mpeg 2 or .mod). its impossable to edit, and if you use a convertor, it totally kills the quality, so thats a no no.

sorry to be so critical, but the point is, im looking for prosumer dv, not consumer hdd.

sorry. anyone else?

XTR-91
      Participant

You’d probably look for something marked as HDV, but you shouldn’t get the idea that hard diskcamcorders are unprofessional. Most consumer editing software does not support MPEG-2 (MOD and TOD files), you’re right.

If HD is not essential for you, I would go with the CannonMiniDVGL1 or GL2. If you are serious about a prosumerHDV, you might want to look at a higher budget.

Hope this helps

Anonymous
      Inactive

yeah, it does, thanks.

and no, i dont have a burning need for hd just yet, standard definition will do me fine.

i use sony vegas, but that still wont accept .mod files for inporting.

anyone know a good free converter that wont kill the quality?

(im still open to advice about my new camcorder)

Rob
      Participant

What do you need a converter for? I thought you were sticking with DV, which is a good choice in my opinion. Just capture your DV footage via firewire400 and you’re good to go.

Anonymous
      Inactive

i meant for my current camera(forgot to mention) its a panasonic and shoots in .mod format.

oh i hate it so. . . .

Anonymous
      Inactive

so does anyone know of a convertor? (besides prism, it does’nt work properly and its only trial software).

tanku.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Consumer Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN