Canon GL-1

• This topic has 7 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 10 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

How does this Canon GL compare to others in its class?

Participant

not a bad choice at all for the beginner or hobbyist. If you can find one for a fair price, i’d look for a GL2 though. I wouldn’t pay more than $700-$800 for a GL2…maybe i wouldn’t even pay that much

$500 would be fairly reasonable for a GL1; $1,200-$1,400 for a GL2, and significantly BETTER than the GL1 – if you can find either.

The Dude,

Yeah, GL2 over GL1. It’s like the XL1s just smaller. You just don’t get the interchangeable lens capability and no XLR inputs (The XL1s didn’t have them either, you had to buy an adapter.) You’ll get good imagery you should be happy with unless you’ve got the ‘shallow depth of field’ bug. If you do, you’ll hate it because it will look ‘too realistic’. Also, spring for a couple of NP945 or NP970 batteries because the 930 that comes with the camera will only last for 35-45 minutes on a full charge.

As an entry level cam, you could do a lot worse. It was top of the line a while back and editing dv footage is a lot less hassle when it comes to the computer you need and storage requirements. If you’re just shooting and putting stuff up on YouTube, you’ll be good to go. Once you start building up your shooting chops, you’ll outgrow it quick.

You can get a used one for $1400 and change at B&H. I wouldn’t spend $2k on it for sure. Shop around, you probably can find one in good condition for a bit cheaper.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/255811-REG/Canon_7920A001_GL2_Mini_DV_3CCD.html

Participant

GL2 still is a very good camera (Between $900 – $1100). The XL1s is also impressive. We are entering the “HD” era but that’s for the serious videographer. You can still do awesome work with those other 2.

Participant

Also… keep your eye on “Craigslist”. I was able to purchase a used XL1s for $900 and it was in prime condition. I was very happy with it. Many great cameras for sale on Craigslist with decent prices!

Inactive

how would the Gl-1 compare to some of the flash cameras? worth it to still even buy a gl-1 or go with the vixia hf-s series?

You DO NOT want to purchase a used GL1 at ANY price! Period!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2020

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look...
homicide-bootstrap