Canon FS10: Mic In TRS pinout needed

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello from Washington DC. I need to plug an external self-powered electret microphone (XLR connector) into an FS10 camcorder (3.5mm socket).

I can fabricate an adapter no prob, but I don’t know what the TRS connections are like inside the camera. Is it a 3-conductor, a 4-conductor; can it take a mono mic instead of a stereo etc. I essentially need to know “Tip=Pin2, Sleeve=Pin 3” etc.

Has anyone hacked this camera already, or just knows from experience what connections await me inside? I know there is an XLR-3.5 adapter sold by Canon, but my money’s tied up in everything else and I can’t swing one right now.

Thanx, all.

Inactive

I’m pretty sure you can get an XLR to mini adapter cord from radio shack. If not, I know you can get an XLR to 1/4″ and adapt from there. most mic jacks are stereo these days, but again, you can get a mono-stereo adapter from radio shack. As long as you don’t need phantom power (that camera can’t give you 48 volts of anything!), and you don’t mind the fact that you’ll have no gain control on the audio, it should work. I actually have such an adapter cable, and aside from the very rare grounding issue, it works like a charm, and it’s a bit cheaper than even the cheap beachtec XLR adapter.

I’m a master fabricator myself, but this is one of those times where I’d presonally just spend the 10 bucks to have radio shack do it for me.

Inactive

Need to correct myself. It’s an FS11, not a 10.

Thanks for the advice Jim, but I still need to know what’s going on inside with the actual connections. Guess its time to jam a plug in and use the meter…

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap