Canon 7D vs Panasonic HMC40 vs Canon Rebel T2i

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey what’s up? This is my first post.

So, a few weeks ago my Canon XL2 died, and i got an estimate of about 600 or a little over to fix. For as old as the camera is and being SD, I’m probably not going to fix it, but instead put the money i was going to spend towards a tapeless, HD, upgrade.

My choices are: A solid state Panasonic HMC40, Canon 7D, or the Rebel T2i.

I don’t know what to choose! The Panasonic is, obviously, a video camera, but the other 2 are DSLRs, and I don’t have much experience with them.

They guy i’ve been working with for years says the 7D is the way to go, wave of the future and whatnot.

I have about $2500 to spend, and the panasonic seems the way to go because, it is all in one, but The DSLRs look better, but i’ve heard shooting with them is a nightmare, but then again, my friend says to get a rig. When I researched rigs, they are expensive, and I would still need to get lenses, as well.

That’s another issue with the DSLRs, Lenses. I’ve read on various other sites that the Lens that comes with the 7D is crap and to just buy the body only and buy the other lenses al a carte. Then again, some people are saying that I would only need a good Prime lens…

I also read about the T2i, which has audio inputs, and is also MUCH cheaper but does it have the same sensor as the 7D, or is it comparable?

In closing, I feel like I am comfortable with my knowledge on the Panasonic, but not on the DSLRs. What kind of lenses would/should I look at (Brands, features etc)? What about rigs, or does anyone know anyone that could make one for me, cheaply?

I appreciate all the help you guys can give me because, I am just lost, and I want to stay at the top of the pack equipment wise.

Thanks.

Inactive

The T2i does not have the same sensor as the 7D although it can record in 1080p. The body is also very light, and if you upgrade to an L lens, the camera will tilt to the front because it’s a bit too heavy for the t2i body. The t2i is also a entry level DSLR. I would opt for the 7D or even the 60D which I have. Get an L lens, 16-35mm Canon F/2.8L lens which is about 1700. But you probably should start off with a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 for around $400 and save money to buy some gears if you don’t already have one.

If you have a fast lens, lowest are 1.2 but those are prime lens that you can’t zoom, it will help allow more light in so you can have lower ISO for less noise. The 7D and 60D are crop camera, so it has a 1.6 crop. If the lens is 20mm, you time that by 1.6 which is = 32mm. Now if you want a full frame camera, which doesn’t have a crop and it’s better since you will have wide angle, get the Canon 5D mark II. Get a used one around $2200 or so and get a Canon prime lens like the 24mm f/1.8. 35mm f/2.

Do you have slider? Microphone? Stabilizer? On Camera lighting or other lighting and stuff? That will factor into the decision making. I have the Glidecam 2000 Pro for stabilizer, I custom made my slider, tripod, shotgun DSLR mount microphone with boom set up,bought lighting, quick release adapter, a 32 SDHC and 16g SDHC card.

There are many DIY rigs on youtube, and I’m planning to build one soon. DSLR is the future because it can do both and also you can switch lens, DOF and everything. The picture quality is also amazing, the only thing lacking right now is the auto focus but I’m sure they will fix it in future. Anymore question, let me know.

Inactive

Hey What’s up? Thanks for replying.

As far as starting materials, I have nothing, no rig, lenses, etc. Starting from scratch.

After a little more research, I think I like the Rebel T3i because, with the accessories I need (Lenses, even a DIY rig, Mic, probably a focus puller), the 7D is just too expensive. Also, I really like the audio input jack, so I don’t need to spend an extra 180 on a XLR adapter.

What do you mean about the 7D and 60D being crop cameras? I know what cropping is, but does that mean it doesn’t capture all the picture, or I have to resize it when I edit?

Thanks.

Participant

I think he means that the sensor is not a full 35mm sensor so it is cropping down to a smaller sensor by the 1.6 ratio. I believe the Canon 5D Mark II is a full 35mm sensor but is a moreexpensive.

Participant

true but maaaaaan, what a diference. I can see it fromt he back of the room. That said, I’d save my beans for a 5D Mark II.

Participant

pointless to argue which is better….. they’re all capable, some just have different abilities…. in the right hands they can all create crappy video.

take a camera or a camera system, find out what it can or cannot do, exploit it’s abilities to the fullest, and always remember… you don’t got to war with the army you wish you had, you go to war with the army you got and fight your battles accordingly.

For MY business and purposes, a standard video camcorder form fits my needs. As Don says … I also voted for the HMC40 but given a higher budget there are video camcorders I’d rather spend my money on, AND there are values available in less expensive HD camcorders that when TRICKED OUT with accessories, can do a slambang job for people who aren’t pursuing some elite video production market but are focused on special projects, events production and web video for small businesses. Bragging rights simply aren’t as important to me as they possible once were (if ever).

Participant

Jon, As for rigs, look up the “Merricam” on youtube (awesome tip from a youngster), and the various other diy steadycam clips…..demos of the the super custom dslr rigs can be seen there, too….nice but not essential. There are actual video comparisons and many different demos and test clips featuring a range of cameras……D

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2020

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap