Canon 7D or 5D mark ii?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am pondering purchasing a Canon DSLR. Honestly I know nothing about them, other then the footage I have seen them capture.

I was talking with a friend who is a photographer and owns the 5D and he told me the one thing he didn’t like was that when you subject is moving it is difficult to maintain focus because there is not auto focus for the camera. He said that when the camera and the subject is static that it produces beautiful pictures and video.

I just watched some underwater footage Derek Sine posted four months ago and it appeared that the little fishies where moving quite a bit and that focus was maintained the entire time.

So is the manual focus really a concern with using this camera for weddings and other events? Also, why are these called “rebel” shooters? What are your thoughts, suggestions, and advice? I’ll have more questions as this discussion gets rolling.

Participant

So does anyone have any advice or suggestions about this?

Inactive

I have no idea about the 5D but the 7D works great, no problem whatsoever with the focus thing.

Great camera to get, only thing is the body shape, less easy than normal vid cams. If you put it on a shoulder rig or tripod it is all good.

Just read any review, they will tell U it is a great camera, extremely wonderful.

If U can get it – get it.

Inactive

more on my post –

these cameras are called ‘rebel shooters’ because they are smaller and more versatile (yet have the same quality) than other pro video cameras in its price range. It really embodies the run-and-gun aspect of guerilla filmmaking. The interchangeable lens helps a lot too.

For people walking back and forth (as in a wedding) you would have to manually change the focus to keep these people in focus. As the autofocus sucks,you are left with only manual, which may be a little difficult, depending on UR level.

I heard that the 5D is even better than the 7D, but I have no idea why (apart from the fact that it is almost two times more expensive). Compare the two online.

The sound of the 7D is really not good, you have to buy a pro mic but that also is not good because of the automatic gain of the camera (i think the 5D removed that feature :-))

Therefor I use a Zoom H4n with the camera and i love it. It is independent, small, and recently Zoom released the H1, only 90 bucks.

Check all these things up, I’m sure you’ll get a lot of answers.

Inactive

philipbloom.net/2010/06/06/whichdslr/

All your questions answered.

Participant

Yes, thank you very much

Inactive

Hi,

I did not experience Canon 7D, but I am very happy with my 5D II Mark – excellent performance !

photographe mariage Metz

Rex,

The big diff’s between the 5D m2 and the 7D are the size of the sensors, ISO’s, frame rates and price. One minor diff is the 7D was rated the better for doing green screen work with. If you’re planning on doing productions that will hold up either on large screen HD tv’s or theatrical screen projections both do very well, though the 5D is better because of the larger sensor. The 5D holds up better during high-end finishing work like color-grading, but the 7D does well too. If you’re looking to use prime cinema lenses, because of larger sensor, the 5D is the better choice. However, with standard single focal length lenses you’ll get excellent footage with a 7D. As always, it comes down to what you want to do with the camera and BTW, both are capable of taking astonishing photos as well.

There were some hardcore comparison tests done with the 5Dm2 and the 7D against film and other HDSLR’s and they were only beaten in a couple of categories which wasn’t shabby for still to video cameras. Check out the comparisons at: The Great Shootout 2010

Good luck.

Inactive

We use the Cannon 7 D for so many things. The 5, i believe does not have hd video, which makes the 7, alot better for the price. Lenses are pricy, but if you dont mind used equipment, you can get them for a decent price. 7d does get hot after prolonged use with the Hd Video, but works for just about everything we do. You can see some of the 7D Shots in our videos, and let me know if you have any questions on settings or lenses.

http://www.fourtenvisuals.com

info@fourtenvisuals.com

Participant

I cannot speak for the canons, as I shoot Pentax, but what I’ve discovered is this… a d-slr is a great compliment to a good video camera, but a poor substitute. a decent project on video using BOTH types of camera can really make the project look more professional…. places where I’d use the d-slr instead of the video cam?

Short takes (always short takes five mins or under).

Low light with fast prime lenses…

Fisheye lens shots…

Shallow depth of field shots…

macro lens shots…

Unique to Pentax…. (cannot speak for other brands) features are in camera stabilization, weather sealing, and compatibility with older lenses… (I think you’ll pay more to get these features in other brands.. no I don’t work for Pentax)…. so using the older manual focus Pentax lenses it is much easier to manually focus the manual lens as compared to the newer AF lenses…. the manual focus ring on say the 50mm 1.4 has a much nicer and easier to control feel to it than the 50mm 1.4 AF lens which is optically the same… both lenses benefit from in camera stabilization.

So brand issue aside, it boils down to how you intend to use the camera and what you are hoping to achieve… for Wedding shooters, I’d recommend having BOTH d-slr and video cameras. you can’t record two hours worth of speeches with a d-slr, and you can’t beat a d-slr for a shallow DOF (f 1.4), single candle lit, kiss at the reception either…

I agree with Don’s assessment. Lately, I’ve been using canon P&S cameras with their video capabilities to augment my Pro Camera HD rig. Except for some minor control issues and the fact you can’t use prime lenses with them, the basic still/video camera is an excellent workflow. So the higher end HDSLR’s are an excellent choice for switching from still to video and filling in for traditional video cameras when the situation calls for it.

As for your original question which is better? Again, it depends on what you want to do and how much you want to pay to do it.

Inactive

I agree with Don and Composite1. If cost is a factor also, keep in mind that you can get the 7D and an extra lens or two for the same price as the 5D.

Participant

but keep in mind tou can only use it half as much due to it’s overheating issues.

Get the 5D, man. enjoy it.

Participant

Hey…Maybe the zacuto great camera shootout of 2011 will provide you with all the information you need to make a decision. It features a team of cinematographers who tested out the 5D & 7D amongst 10 other industry standard cameras.

You can find the link on my blog; fadlywychowvski.blogpsot.com. It is the latest post there. Enjoy it!;P

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap