Cannot download Premier Pro CS3

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey all: OK I have a crappy emachine. On it I have 1.43 GB of RAM and a 1.91 GHz processor. From CS3, I needed Photoshop, InDesign and Premier Pro, but am likely in over my heard regarding resources, particularly with Premier Pro. I can’t remember what the dialog box said but it was one of a few programs in CS3 during the analyzing process with a red X next to it I guess basically telling me my computer would not support it. I tried a separate download after I successfull got Photoshop and InDesign on but no go. I’ve been a writer for decades and am trying to upgrade my skills to get me a step up from dinosaur status, but am laid off with little money. I do want Premier Pro for a slideshow cottage industry I am considering. Do I need a faster processor? More memory (likely not, right?) Help?

Participant

You definitely need more of each and probably a bigger hard drive as well.

Participant

Sometimes I’m forced to use an older emachine, but it works fine. When I first used it, it had 1.8GHz with 512MB RAM….I was able to edit 2-3 hour weddings with 6-8 hours of raw footage with minimal problems and ALL adobe programs worked fine….Since then I’ve bumped it up to 2GB RAM and I sometimes use it for minor projects or Short HD demos or motion graphics whenmy other G5 or PCare occupied.

You may get some red X warnings, but the programs should still work.

You may need to wipe the hard drive and reinstall the operating system and all other software so that you are working with a clean slate and undue any damage or conflicting configurations.

If you can, upgrade to 2GB of RAM…I don’t think it will accept more than that.

I don’t believe you can upgrade to a different processor that will really make that much of difference…but a newer PCI-express video card will help the viewpoint editing process.

Colleen,

Hooboy! Yeah, CS3 will probably run on your system (DV only, HD is out.) I agree with Coreece (as usual it seems) regarding upgrading. You’re no doubt running a 32-bit rig so at 1.4GB’s your system at best will see 3GB with an upgrade (most likely 2.5-2.75.) The extra RAM will help though. Since you haven’t mentioned what kind of video card your system has I can only guess you’ll probably have trouble on that end as well (slow performance). Find out what kind of motherboard your system has and you can figure out what CPU it maxes out on. With a little faster CPU you’ll be able to squeeze some more processing power out of ‘old paint’ to help you trundle along. Before you run out and get a new video card, find out what type of video card slot you have (these things are very specific, no mixing or matching allowed!) I’d hate to see you spend money on the wrong gear.

Participant

I’m sure you all know how painful it is to work on a system with a CPU that is under 2.4GHZ and less than 2GB of RAM.

But the main thing is how much more fun and productive it can be on a good machine. With my new system I can render, export and burn DVDs at almost 5 times the speed of my old 3.0GHZ machine. No camparison really. If you want to edit video on the above mentioned machine it may be possible, no one can say for sure. My guess is that you may not even have a large enough hard drive to work with, Premiere requires about 40Gb of free space. Not to mention other software that could interfere and that the processor must have SSE2 support or it will not even install.

Participant

“I’m sure you all know how painful it is to work on a system with a CPU that is under 2.4GHZ and less than 2GB of RAM.

But the main thing is how much more fun and productive it can be on a good machine.”

I agree Chuck…and Ihope I didn’t encourage people to go out thinking an emachineis the way to go for high end editing…lol. I just wanted to give a little honest optimism until the economy picks up and paychecks start rolling in and people feel comfortable with a new purchase.

But good point…going with a nice setup will definatelylimit grey hairand put a lil morecash in you pants. πŸ™‚

“Before you run out and get a new video card, find out what type of video card slot you have (these things are very specific, no mixing or matching allowed!) I’d hate to see you spend money on the wrong gear.”

yes…my bad, I jumped the gun…I don’t know the modelthis particularemachine so I shouldn’t have stated that so boldly…most Emachs have PCI-E but there are some models like the T2341 that don’t….

in any event…I think Emachineis a great company. They always have current models that are practically identical to other consumer models, and they now only cost around $300-$500…lol. (if there’s a will…there’s a way.)

• Viewing 5 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap