Can you tell an original MiniDV from a copy

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Is there a way to tell an orignal from a copy with MiniDV tape?

Inactive

seeing how it’s digital media, I don’t see where there could be a difference…

Inactive

Since it’s digital media, it should be a bit for bit exact double when copied. The only difference that may arise is the quality of tape used.

Inactive

The only way I know involves a “loop style” degausser. Plug in the degausser, holding it so the loop is horizontal. Drop the tape through the center of the loop. Repeat this a couple times and put the tape in the camera. If the tape is blank, then it was the original. πŸ˜€

Okay, seriously though, there’s really not an easy way to tell if one tape is a copy or original, unless you actually have both the orginal and the copy. If you’re dubbing from camera to camera, the copy might start slightly later on the tape or clip off the beginning or the end, but wihout having the bona fide original tape to hold a copy to, it could be tough to figure out which is which.

I suppose that there’s probably some way that a criminal forensics lab might be able to figure this out, but for the average video maker, there’s no way to really tell the difference.

(And if you didn’t pick up on the sarcasm, NEVER bring a degausser anywhere near a tape!)

Participant

Since the format on a DV tape is digital, copying with the same format will not change – though I wouldn’t recommend using a copy of a copy for a final production.

However, if you continuouslyconvert to Standard to HD, and from HD to Standard (or any other set of formats), the quality will probably be altered somehow or another.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders β€” 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap