Can you split audio inputs on Canon XL2

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have a new Canon XL2 camcorder. I need to run an audio line from a small mixing board into the camera. Is there a way to use one channel of audio for the “line in” from the board, and use one side of the stereo front microphone as the second channel? Sort of a safety track if there’s trouble with the line in signal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

-Bill

I can with the XL1, so I would imagine somewhere in the operating manual the XL2 would have continued with that ability. I cannot believe that Canon would have eliminated that capability in the transition from the various XL1 models to the XL2. I just don’t know anything about the XL2 to offer more qualified information. Sorry.

Participant

Old question, but hopefully I can provide an answer. I own an XL2 — only standard-definition, but still a good camera.

The front mic is a stereo mic, and will always record a stereo signal. If you want to record from the front mic on one channel, and from an external mic on the other channel, you could:

1) Get a dual-mini-plug-to-XLR adapter, and plug the front mic into the rear XLR input; or

2) Record in 12-bit, 4-channel mode.

I like the first method better, as you can record 16-bit audio.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Videomaker’s 2020 holiday gift guide

When it comes to holiday gifting for people who are deeply involved in a niche or hobby, it's challenging to decide which ideas are worthwhile. If the hobby has become an actual gig that they invest in, it can be daunting. This is true with videographers as much as anything, but we're here to help. You might want to find a gift that is exactly what they need to round out their gear, or something a little more fun. Either way, we've got you covered.
homicide-bootstrap