Can someone please help me out?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have been recently put charge (‘inherited’) of a local television production company and the problem is I have no idea where to start. I don’t know what kind of equipment to replace… for live broadcast or for studio ( Most of the equipment feels like a decade old already) . (mixers, modulators, etc.) Could somebody point me where good resources where I could learn the ropes?

Inactive

Decade old equipment still usable as long it in working order. Best option is to hire a local video tv production guy to help you out. You can place an ad on craiglist.org to find one.

Sorry, but in my most HUMBLE opinion you’re NOT LIKELY to get the kind of “professional” or “experienced” help you need going off Craig’s List. Exceptions and mileage may vary, but probably nothing outstanding help-wise from that corner of the world.

You SAY “television production company” so probably you’re NOT talking about a television studio. BUT, if you ARE talking about a full-blown STUDIO, there’s MORE than equipment you need to look into … licensing, etc. for conducting live broadcast, etc.

If you’re talking about a “company” that only produces content that is cable or broadcast capable and meets the standards for such production … well, that COULD be a studio if you have everything “in house” required to make a production.

You need a technician, someone fully versed in the engineering skills required to assess your equipment and connections to/from the building (in the event of broadcast or cable) who can see what is working and what’s NOT working in the current setup.

You’re talking about (if an actual studio) confirming your overhead racks and lamps/lights and whatever controllers are available for them.

You’re talking about your wired or wireless mic systems, systems to/from the camera operators and the control booth from the TA and TD to the director and the sound person.

You’re talking about assessing the backup recording systems, the live feed systems, the audio board(s), whatever system you have for graphics. You’re talking about confirming the feeds to/from all audio sources to/from speakers in the control room, headsets and the connector in the studio; the condition of any and all SNAKES (those bunches of connections at the ends of some really thick cables running to and fro.

A LOT of older equipment is still being utilized (it cost big bucks back in the day and many cable outfits that were purchased or passed over to community television programming … community access/paid access … will continue using them until they turn to dust) OR NOT; opting instead to invest money in to upgrades that include mixers and digital systems-in-a-box from Sony, Grass Valley (a video technology solutions company) NewTek and others.

Today’s high quality equipment, while not cheap by a long shot, usually would require less upfront investment for an equivalent degree of technological sophistication and capability to much/most of what your facility now has.

Being “uninitiated” in all this, you’ve got a LONG ROW to HOE in seeking random opinion, educated guesses, experienced professionals or others vaguely or intimately familiar not only with what it takes, but what all your equipment is or should be and how to improve it, upgrade it, integrate it with old/new elements. A true professional engineer is possibly a cheaper investment than trying to go it on your own, or gleaming info from these forums. Not that windy people like myself won’t share with you what they know, but that what you need probably far exceeds the time they have to hold your hand throughout the process of assessing and upgrading, or even bringing your “inherited” facility back online.

Participant

Of course you could probably post in which city you live and maybe some of the good folks on here could give you a hand, but do not expect that to be cheap. Professionals who know what they are doing and can produce professional results are not cheap.

Inactive

EDIT: Just saw the above post. I am from the Philippines.

Thank you Earl for sharing your insight in this industry. I know that it is a long post and I am truly grateful you took the time to give me a bird’s eye view of what to look into. I’ll take your advice into account.

I’ll try to find a good professional engineer while in the mean time, i was hoping you would “hold my hand” for one last time ( for now ) and would show me where i could get my core foundations/basics. ( i.e. books, resources, forums ?: i did read already:Television Production 14th ed by J Owens )

Also since this is the tech talk: I would like to start building the studio from scratch seeing as though almost all of the equipment haven’t been properly taken care of during the production and during storage. ( DV camera’s are not working, Lost mics etc, switchers not functional ) Also, in your opinion, the more modest option of going tricaster or standard broadcasting equipment?

If I had the need and the available financial resources to do so I’d probably go with the tricaster or the more expensive Sony tool. However, it still would be in your best interest to determine exactly WHAT you want to do, to offer, how far you want to take the studio environment, and what it will take regarding licenses or whatever to legally conduct a full broadcast or cable programming environment.

Where you are there MIGHT be an opportunity in developing a full-blown studio/broadcast/cable environment, even if you DID have to start from scratch. Do some search for NewTek and check out their recommended providers for the Tricaster system, even their own techs. While they certainly will slant everything in favor of the Tricaster, get what info you can out of them and use it for comparison studies and as a basis to confirm for yourself if it will do what you need. Studios in a box are very sophisticated nowadays and could help you develop a solid and even portable, powerful studio environment. You might not even NEED to be anchored to a building.

But if you have access to the building and it already has sound proofing, a control room, studio area, office space, storage, etc. then of course that would be great to set up a facility that not only does its own productions, and client productions, but could also be offered for rent from independents in your business area.

Sorry, about books/resources … it’s been so long since I’ve been involved in that particular arena of video production that I’ve lost track of what I read or studied. I suspect, however, that someone here will eventually offer some input in that area. Of course there’s always some searches on Google that might get you focused on good/great current publications.

I know Don and a few others here have done stuff regarding development of a production studio, maybe they will see this and pipe in.

Inactive

Thanks for the advice… I’ll try to continually advance my training

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio editing software for video editors — 2021

Let's look at the best audio editing software currently on the market, then go over the most important features to consider as you shop.
homicide-bootstrap