Can my PC edit HDV?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello everyone. I’ve been thinking about making the jump to HDV, but i was curious if my current set up could edit HDV. I currently use the following PC, and edit with Sony Vegas Pro 8:

Windows XP, 3.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium D, 2GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX

Blakes,

Barely. You’ve got a single core CPU though fast enough will be overloaded by the minimum RAM and GPU. So that your machine won’t get bogged down, you should at minimum have a Duo-Core 2.6Ghz or better (a quad-core 2.4 or higher), 4 – 8* GB of RAM (*you can only get 6 or more recognized by Windows by converting to 64-bit) and a GPU (NVIDIA or comparable) series 8800 or later (and you might want to consider more than 1.) Don’t forget plenty of harddrive space for all of those graphics, video and audio to be stored as well.

Inactive

Pentium D? As in socket 478? Budget 5 hrs to render a one hour standard def dvd. Times 4 for bluray.

Participant

You can check the minimum system requirements for working with HDV video by going to the website of your chossen NLE. The minimum system requirements vary a bit from program to program.

Inactive

Depending on the length and complexity of your video projects you may find the setup you currently have is all you need espescially if its’s just for home videos or projects that don’t have to be turned around in 24 hours. I recently completed a 1/2 hour television pilot shot and edited in HDV using Vegas Pro 8 and output to Blu-ray. My system has an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ single processor, integrated sound, 3GB ram, an Nvidia 256mb 7800GS video card, WindowsXP and an external Lacie 500GB hard drive. The project had lots of dissolves, keys, some animated grahics, colour correction and layered audio mixing. Yes it was a bit slow at times, but not slow enough to cause any major frustration or system crashes. I just made sure that I was disconected from the internet and turned off all uneeded applications such as virus scanners etc. So my suggestion to you is try it with your current system and see. For sure, a newer, faster computer would be nice and it will surely perform better, but if the current system works why bother with an expensive upgrade?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap