Can an internal mic be damaged from loud music?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi there! I have shot some weddings and throughout the evening, I like to go to the tables where the
      guests are seated enjoying the evening and the DJ plays the music SOOO loud, you have to scream
      into the ear of the person next to you to say something. I had the wired mic to my camera as they held the mic and spoke their words to the bride and groom. The input competes with the decibles of the music and it comes out so garbled. THe bride thought it was great, (she knew they were having fun) but I wondered if my video cam mic can be damaged? I would never do it again, I go out in the lobby to get the well wishers. thanks for your time…

Participant

I’ve never heard of any damage to the mic resulting. Only damage to the audio track :D.

Participant

Microphones can only record a certain number of decibels. After that point, they start to clip and become distorted like you have found. This doesn’t damage the mic (as far as I know), but does damage the audio track.

It looks like you’ve already found the easiest solution, of just removing recording from the room with the blaring music.

If you are worried that the mic is damaged, why don’t you try recording a bit of test footage/audio in your house at normal sound levels. If that too comes out distorted, then the mic is damaged, but I suspect it will sound normal.

Inactive

Depending on the type of mic, yes it can be damaged. I have never seen a modern mic damaged by this, but it is possible.

Participant

hah, good question, I’ve been wondering about this.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap