Can a camera like the CX700 be used for pro/semi work?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Can a camera like the CX700 be used for pro/semi work?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey all, I have a CX700VE which personally I think the video quality is superb. The only thing is I will be trying this out at a wedding and can’t seem to be able to hand hold it as still as I would like to, I have a tripod but for those moments where a tripod won’t do the trick, it worries me. Do other people use little handhelds for pro work? Or am I better off getting a shoulder cam?

Participant

Linden, with a slightly larger than 1/3 inch sensor, image quality should be fine for most things that you mentioned as long as you have enough light. A fluid head tripod will allow you to get most of what you need to shoot, the addition of a dolly under it will improve its functionality.For the sprint and shoot or follow the dancing couple situations, a shoulder cam will help but I think that some sort of steady cam setup will do almost as well. If cost is a factor, there are a lot of DIY steady cam solutions (as well as dolly setups) on the internet. Some better than others but all take some practice to achieve good performance.I have made a dolly for my tripod by fashioning a triangle of angle aluminum with three casters that pivotandrollsmoothly attached to each of the points of the triangle, and some bungee cords to anchor the tripod feet to it. A very simple ‘poor man’s steadycam’ is an adjustablemonopod gripped below the head and the length of extension varied for balance (lots of practice). Keep shooting.

Participant

Thanks for that reply, quite a bit of help there. I do not know whether to just sort myself out another MC2000E, the IQ of it was very good, almost as good as the CX700 – Just wish there was something like the MC2000E with the CX700 inside of it!

Participant

Linden, check out my earlier (about a year or so) post “A Simple Shoulder Stabilizer” for stabilizing a small camcorder for handheld shooting.

Robert

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best laptops for video editing — 2021

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap