Camera suggestions

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’ve been searching the net looking for a new camera and came across this site and I’m hoping someone can help me out. I’m looking for a new camera, preferably HD, and I have a price limit of about $1500. I will be using the camera for mostly action, speed stuff like mountain biking, snowboarding, and mountain boarding. I was looking at the sony HDR-HC3, Panasonic PV-GS500, and Canon HV10. What do you suggest out of these cameras? Should I look at any other cameras? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! Thanks, Nick…

Participant

Welcome to the forums!

My own personal preference would suggest a Canon, but I do not know much about the HV10. I do know that the XL2 (non HD) which it is modeled after is a favorite amoung the majority of digital video people, Canon is expensive though and the $8,000 price of the HV10 may be out of your league. Sony and Panasonic are alos good. But you actually have a low price limit when looking for an HD camera, so the Sony model will probably be a good choice. What exactly are you planning on doing with the video you are going to be producing?

Participant

Wait, I’m confused, I thought the HV10 was like $1300? Anyway thanks for the reply. I’m going to be using the video for making short productions of my friends and I biking, boarding, etc. but my family will also be using it on vacations and such. I will probably host them on the internet and send to local extreme T.V. channels. I’m a junior in high school, and an aspiring filmer. This will be my first real camera, and I hope to make movies and extreme sport films with my friends. I want HD quality but don’t need a super expensive machine so that is why I’m looking at this level of camera. The canon seems to be perfect, but the hand position seems awkward, and the zoom control is hard to maneuver, so I’ve heard. The Sony also seems like it would be great, but I’ve had some people tell me not to go sony. Any advice or suggestions would really help me out.

Participant

Perhaps you need to dig deeper into why you feel HD is necessary? There is a solid, high quality base of 3ccd DV cameras out there that would suit you very well – and into the future as HD finds it’s place. Just sayin…

Participant

Yeah jetson I definitely see what your saying. I just want a nice quality, clear picture and I know HD will give that to me, thats the reason for going that way. You also spoke of 3ccd cameras, what do you think of the panasonic PV-GS500? The three cameras that I spoke of are in my price range, and have HD. Its not that I feel I only need HD, its that the cameras in my price range have it, and that the video quality from them will be what I’m looking for. If you can steer me in the right direction for any other camera in my price range with high quality video clarity, please let me know. Thanks, Nick!!!!

Participant

Yeah jetson I definitely see what your saying. I just want a nice quality, clear picture and I know HD will give that to me, thats the reason for going that way. You also spoke of 3ccd cameras, what do you think of the panasonic PV-GS500? The three cameras that I spoke of are in my price range, and have HD. Its not that I feel I only need HD, its that the cameras in my price range have it, and that the video quality from them will be what I’m looking for. If you can steer me in the right direction for any other camera in my price range with high quality video clarity, please let me know. Thanks, Nick!!!!

Participant

Oops sorry, I thoguh the HV10 was the XLH, boy am I stupid.

I can say this: Canon definately makes the top of the line. But also HD is a tricky format right now. you can actually read my rant about HD in the HD section of the forum. Anyway are you an aspiring filmer, or an aspiring filmmaker? Just remember HD has its tradeoffs. Besides to make it accessable to most people, especially on the web you would have to use lower resolution, and at that point you might as well not spend that much money on it. Also most consumer HD cameras are not going to offer a lot of control, and they are very small. I peronally think that if a camera is under 5lbs it is completely usless as a viable action camera, the light weight will have way too much jitter.

Another thing you should think about is how you are going to edit everything. You will see topic after topic on this forum with people asking what camera to buy and a budget they are going to be using. You also have a lot of other things you might want to buy.

Anyway I would say that if you ONLY want to shoot outdoor sport action sequnces you will need a camera that will allow you to change shutter speeds. Any a "consumer" camera may not offer that. Consumer cameras are designed for people to go out and make a video about a family reunion, or their kids playing in the back yard. To make a marketable video you will need at least a prosumer camera. And those are very expensive when it is HD.

You can get a good consumer mini DV camera for around $300-$400 from Canon and you can make a production just as good as a HD, and you can get a prosumer Camcorder for around $1000

HD does is not always noticable, and even when it is, if people are enjoying your video they won’t even think about it. But seeing as how you are in high school I would suggest you get what is cheap and make good use of it. You were saying that you want high quality video clarity? Video clarity does not go hand in hand with resolution. You can get clarity from mini DV. Let me put it this way: The human eye sees at a really high resolution. Now you can enlarge any uncompressed image to nearly twice its size without any other changes and the clarity will look the same, because the human eye does not see digitally. Look at any DVD you own. the resolution for any of those movies on DVD are not HD, in fact they are probably 1/2 the resolution of HD. Yet they have great "clarity" and when watching the movie you aren’t thinking "Look at that resolution" the entire time. My suggestion: Go on the cheap, get a good miniDV camera. Do what you want and wait until HD becomes a more viable format. Also you are tlaking about local TV stations, I doubt they broadcast in HD in fact the BEST they can probably do is 480 horizontal lines resolution, which is what mini DV is, but I would think it is likely that they might broadcast at 320 horizontal lines.

Participant

Wow… thanks for all that info, I really appreciate the help!!!! Alright, I can see what everyone is saying and that is that I don’t really need HD. I just need help on choosing a camera with high clarity and resolution for filming fast sequences like in biking. I want to get into filming extreme, action type sports like downhill/freeride biking and I need the clarity/resolution and speed for that. My aspiration for when I get older is to become a photographer and filmer. I want to learn how to edit film, primarily action sports, as this is what I am into. What type of cameras out there can satisfy my need? Please, any suggestions on cameras would be immensley, greatly, massively appreciated. THanks, Nick!!!!!

Participant

Guidlelines for cameras filming fast sport/action sequences:

Get a brand that is one of the following: Canon, Sony, Panansonic

I perfer Canon, I think they offer the best image as well as the best control, some people may not agree with me, everybody has their favorite brand. Unfourntuantly Canon does not have a lot of nice mid priced cameras right now. As I said before I NEED a camera with some weight. It is a major failing in consumer camcorders that they are getting smaller and lighter. Heavy cameras have good momentum that allows for jitter free imaging, even when being held freehand. I don’t think you will find a NEW Canon camera that will fit that description so you may want to check Sony or Panasonic.

Get a Camera with variable frame rate and exposure settings: Even if there are no other manual controls you HAVE to have this. You will not get good image quaility without it. If you need to know why just look up information on framerate and exposure settings, but it basically has to do with the way DV camcorders work.

Try to get a camera with image stabalizing capabilities: Helps reduce jitter.

I’d say other than that it is really up to you as to exactly what camera you can get. With your price range you are looking at a consumer camcorder, and since they are small you will want to look into buyung or building a DV stabalizer.

You cannot get it new, but if you are willing to buy a used camera I can suggest what I always suggest:
    Canon’s Optura Xi. It was a short lived camcorder from Canon, mostly because it sat somewhere between Professional and Consumer and so consumers didn’t want to spend the money and professionals wanted a much nicer camera, but I think it is just about one of the best enty level camera you can buy. It gives you great manual control as well as automatic control, and it has variable frame rate and exposure settings. I’m sure other people will suggest their favorite types of cameras. Just take the time and do some research before buying. If you can go find a camera store that has a good variety and try some out. Find one you like. And if you ever need help with anything remember Videomaker. always a great place to get some advice.

• Viewing 8 reply threads

3   +   7   =  

Best Products

Storage Buyer's Guide

The best digital storage for video editors — 2020

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
    homicide-bootstrap