camera backpack for my AGDVX100a

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I often travel with my DVX100 and the case is too heavy for me to carry through the airport. I am looking for a backpack to carry my DVX100 in that will be protective but, better to travel with. Are there any Backpacks designed specifically with the DVX100 in mind? I already checked out the back issue article "Bag It" but it wasn’t very helpfull. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks.

Inactive

I can help here by not recommending a bag.

Though Kata advertises its GDC R-103 bag with a DVX100 inside, I think this is a bad combination. I found no way to safely fit the DVX100 in this bag. Either there was unneeded pressure on the microphone, or on the lense.

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=288&cid=67&perentId=1&ProdLine=1

I like Kata, and have enjoyed using their other bags. They do offer an airline-friendly bag called the Grizzly, which a friend of mine uses.

-andrew @ videomaker

Inactive

Regarding the do-it-yourself approach, I’ve done it enough to know that it’s not for my bags.

I’ve made a garage full of DIY projects, but the few with the "foam solution" never quite came out. Is there a certain brand of carpet foam that you always use?

So far, the LowePro RoadRunner has worked well for me. It’s a backpack and rolling airline bag.

-andrew

Participant

so, did you get into a conclusion for the camera backpack?
      I saw a couple of suggestions on http://www.mybackpackingbuddies.com, but I’m not 100% sure about it.
      I have a strong feeling that if I’m building the backpack myself, I’ll end up with a pile of pieces…

Participant

Adding to such an old thread sometimes doesn’t help…but in the event somebody comes here looking for a solution, I’ll chime in.

I have 2 DVC-80’s which are physically identical to the DVX-100. I recently bought a Petrol backpack for right at $100. You can see B&H’s listing at:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/471041-REG/Petrol_PMLCB2_PMLCB_2_Backpack.html

I can fit my DVC-80 in the bottom, slide my Dell laptop with 17" display into the back, put in power supplies, extra batteries, tape, cell phone, spare glasses, travel documents…and on and on. So many zipper compartments you’ll forget what you put where.

It gets pretty heavy, but once on your back with the chest strap fastened, it’s a piece of cake. I recently traveled and hiked through airports at St. Louis and Miami…and that one’s always a long hike…with no fatigue.

I used to carry the laptop bag and the video gear in a Porta Brace bag. Those really created lots of fatigue and it was difficult trying to wheel a suitcase. With the backpack, both hands are free.

Best hundred bucks I’ve spent recently.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap