Camera and Accessories for HS football

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am wanting to video HighSchool games for my grandson who is presently 8th grade. I am computer literate but not at all familiar with photography or videotaping. My funds are limited but I will spend what is necessary to do the task at hand. I would like for the camera to last for the next 5 years at a minimum. There will be no income derived from this project.

From reading the forums for the past two weeks, I plan to go with the Sony DCR-VX2100. I will probably purchase everything from B&H so I am trying to get my initial order ready.

I will be filming small school basketball and football. This means that the gyms will generally not be as well lit as larger schools. I am on the edge of appalachia in SE Ohio and therefore many of the schools do not have a great sports comples.

Most of the info that I have gathered is from Wedding Videoing and other than less importance on audio there seems to be many similarities. Except with weddings, the intense action generally takes place after the videoing quits.

1. Do I use the same lens for Basketball as for Football. I will be closer to the action in Basketball as I will be filming from the stands and the court is shorter. Wide angle, I could capture more of the action with less panning but would it be appropriate? Football, I will be in the stands or booth but never on the sidelines. Filter? I remember on another thread that it was recommended to use a filter to protect the camera lens. Which filter should I use for this camera.

2. I figure that an external mike won’t be necessary as I will use the roar of the crowd and announcers for background. But – on windy nights at football games, can I mute the mike or put a cloth over it? Or what are some of the options for this.

3. I plan to use two tapes for each game as the flags and penalties are sometimes as interesting as the action. Sometimes a AC outlet may be available so should I also purchase an additional AC Adapter?

4. Tripod and/or monopod – Football games won’t be too bad with using a tripod but Basketball games will probably require a monopod as generally the bleachers are rather crowded and I will want as high as I can get. What is the most inexpensive yet functional units for this purpose using the VX2100. Portability is a concern. As is a good carrying case for the camera and accessories.

5. Would it be possible to use a cheaper camera to upload the tapes to the computer or to a DVD recorder. Once the tape is recorded with the VX2100, would I lose quality by uploading with a cheaper camera to reduce the load on the Sony. I will retain tapes at least until I get them into the computer. I probably won’t be able to upload to a computer and start editing until March or April but I will be putting on DVD for my grandson to review. ( I am heavily into the AARP Tax-Aide program and will be super busy until mid April.)

I know this is a lot but I wanted to provide as much info so I could get the appropriate advice.

Participant

I’ve e done allot of high school sports and would suggest that you get a good mono pod, and tripod. The mono pod will be what you’ll use most of the time. Stay mobile, you’ll get the best footage. Get up close to the action. Don’t stay in the bleachers.

If you do stay in the bleachers for the football games, see if you can get up by the announcers box. They sometimes have a platform right next to the entrance door to the box. See if they will let you use that. You’ll want to get down by the team in the dugout and bench. There is always something going on there. Don’t just get the entire game, play after play, that’s boring…

You asked about a case, get the hard case that they sell for the 2100, I have one for my PD170, and it’s great. Should hold up to all the abuse that it may get in the stands.

If you can muster up the money, get yourself a full Glide cam setup. I have the hand held portion, and works great with smaller cameras (weight thing), and I’m saving now for the vest and arm. The movement and creativity that you’ll have with the mobility, will give you an amazing video.

As for the wind issue, you can get a fuzzing thing to put over your stereo mic. I’m sure they aren’t to expensive.

Participant

Okay and thanks for the advice to now. I do need help.

We are presently using a Sony DCR-TRV22 which is a 10X zoom. Sitting mid field at football games this zoom was adequate. So the 12X of the 2100 should be okay. I do want the low light ability of the 2100. I will purchase this camera. I need help now selecting the accessories such as tripod and monopod and hardcase. This is all for personal use.

What I need is help creating my order for B&H. I know nothing about tripods or any other accessorie. I would like the most inexpensive that will do the task at hand. I am trying to eliminate the possibility of having to "moveup" to a better product because I scrimped.

To RB: Very good response. I am close to 70 and not athletic so I will need to stay in the bleachers. I do know what you are saying about capturing the action but at the 50 yard line, I will be able to capture what I need. I will be filming and place my attention mostly on one player during the action. Home games, I should be able to get in or on top of the announcers box. I will have a couple of years to ingratiate and familiarize myself to opposing teams support personel but he will get playing time as a Freshman in 2007. Generally opposing teams only have a bench and use a bleacher section behind the goalposts for halftime activity..

I will purchase a hardcase, thanks for excellant advice. I searched on "glide cam" and I don’t think I will be needing one of those. I will be using either a tripod (football) or monopod (basketbll.).

I want the complete game and will edit deadtime later. Even with the JrHi games, some of the most interesting action is after the play is completed and the coaches argue with the officials. I plan to reduce each game to 1 hr or less after editing.

I hope to do the complete process under 5 K. This is with editing software and maybe a new computer. (I will research this after tax season. I do presently have a newer computer with 1.5 gb of memory and a external 250 gb hd. I am a novice with NoVice. I no longer smoke, drink, play poker or have a motor cycle. This will be my hobby and main interest for the next five years.

To compusolver: I have read most of your posts for the past six months. It was with your info that I arrived at the decision to get the 2100. The url with the difference in low light you posted was dramatic. As a owner of two 2100 cameras, your guidance is beyond value.

What hardcase do you use? What exact lens (I would only require one change for basketball possibly?), tripod and monopod would you recommend. (This is your opportunity to spend money without digging into your own pocket. Please help me build my initial order.) I won’t be requiring any mikes or lighting at this time. Do you use a cleaning tape and when? What brand and quality of tapes do you use. I will select a tape and stick with it. I won’t purchase my tapes at Wally World but will order in larger quantities where I can get a better price.

My goal is < 3500.00 for basic video equipment.

B&H = Camera – 2200, 4 yr warranty 150, 970 battery 105, hardcase 259.

Participant

I bought this one for the quick disconnect, and the construction.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=BO745B3460K&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=341514

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=3953&A=details&Q=&sku=239048&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

It goes along really nice with this one.

and they both fit in the one case.

[img]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=kitInfo&A=kitInfo&Q=&sku=308859&is=REG&si=feat[/img]

Participant

Thaniks to all who supply us newbies with such good info.

I just ordered my DCR-VX2100, thanks to Compusolver for all of his input over the near and far past which allowed me to make my decision on the camera. By waiting several weeks, the price went up 100.00 but hey, live and learn.

I also ordered the hard case and tripod recommended by RB. I know me and the hard case will pay for it’s self.

I could not find much info on the Mack warranty for the VX2100, but the price was right and I went for it. (I never buy the warranty on anything.)

B&H was very helpful and not pushy. The sales person did answer all my questions and also helped by asking some leading questions. But they did not try any pushy sales tactics for additional equip. Of course my total was over 4600.00. (I also ordered a canon Rebel XTi) Except for a digi Canon it was all recording equipment.

Again, THANKS and HAND

jerry in Southern Ohio

Participant

I’ve shot games for years and here’s something I just recently started doing that you may want to try. Don’t know whether or not anyone does radio for the games you will be shooting but if they do you can get a cheap radio and attach it to your camera and go from your headset input of the radio straight into your mic input of your camera and record the play by play. It’s really gone over well for me and it’s a real hit at the banquets when I put a highlight tape together for one of the teams.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap