camcorder upgrade help?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

as of right now i have a canon xl1 which i do like but i really want to upgrade to something with a much better quality but not so high in price..i would definitly like something that shoots in high def but like i said not to high in price if i could find some under a grand that would be great..any ideals or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..thank you for your time

Your $1K budget isn’t going to get you something comparable to the XL Canons, even if you go with something without interchangeable lens capabilities.

There ARE some HD camcorders that can do a decent job for you on a multitude of formats but you’re going to take a serious hit on the glass. The Canon lens quality, not so much interchangeability, was why I went with a pair of XL units in the first place, later augmenting that with a third camera – the Canon GL2.

I still will have to take a step backward IMHO if I go with the Panasonic HMC-150 or JVC’s competitive model, and these units go for mid to high $3K range. I used to think I’d settle for a Canon HV30, but I cannot recall if that model is a CCD or CMOS – I know its replacement HV40 is CMOS and I’m simply not going to go there.

You can certainly find some stuff that will do the job for you in the $1K or so budget bracket, but it will NOT match up to Canon XL1 lens and overall quality.

Oneshot,

Earl’s dead-on about the XL series. The only way you’ll get a higher quality image is spend a lot more than less than $1k!

I still have an XL1s on active duty despite having moved up to proHD. Despite it being interlaced DV uncompressed video out of that camera is just as nice now as the day I first got it. Of course the rig I use has been ‘tricked out’ as a full pro rig with extra lenses, b&w viewfinder, etc. but the basics are still there. You’ve got a great camera for standard dvd and web production, but if you want to move up to HD no dinky $1k or less camera is going to give you the superior image or controls than what you’ve already got. Now, if you cough up $1600 for a Canon EOS 7D, you’re talking a whole new weight-class….

Participant

i hav just recently seen the Canon eos 7d in action and i’d hav to say im very surprised,amazed and interested..i think i might be a great upgrade for me since i try to do a lil photography now that would take the place of the rebel xsi and possibly the xl1 or at least a great addition…i guess im gonna have to up my budget…

Participant

Have you considered the Canon HF S10. Yes, it’s in the consumer realm, but it’s virtually the best performing HD camcorder in comparison to its price. My only complaint is the single CMOS sensor. Not to say that CMOS sensors aren’t capable of producing good video, but they have plenty of side affects such as shutter roll and seem to be as a way of economizing camcorders.

Participant

Used HV30 with a mini 35mm if your stuck on HD for under 1k. What’s the format of the final product? Most markets still broadcast local commercials in SD… Used Dvx’s can easily be had at $1,000 and it’s a great camera. The 7D is definitely worth the extra cash – market photos and video. The 7D is lightweight as well as being insanely compact and once you go tapeless you will never look back.

Check out this article SNL has been using the 7D with killer results.

http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/09/29/saturday-night-live-use-canon-7d-and-5d/

The folks making the DSLR rigs have definitely hit on something, though I don’t think they’ve ‘evolved’ to their max potential yet.

I’m a huge fan of the 5Dmk II and the 7D, but I read the white paper on the EOS 1D III and HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL! Sorry about the all caps there, but it had to be said. Granted it’s in the same price range as pro lower-end JVC, Sony and Panasonic video cam’s, but the stuff it can do seriously rivals the RED ONE. You put a mattebox kit and some good Canon 35mm lenses on that puppy and look out!

We do plan on picking up one more JVC GYHD-200UB (now $4k at B&H) but I also want to add a couple of DSLR’s to the arsenal. The thing is; go cheap and get 2 7D’s or cough up a lung and get a 1D III.

Nice tools are great, no doubt. But you can still build a house with a hammer and a handsaw – sometimes a darned good one.

Participant

I’ve worked on several projects that use the Red as an A cam and 7D’s for B-Roll – looks legit.

Participant

what about the stock lens that comes with the 7D is it anything different than the lens that came with my canon rebel xsi? if not then maybe i should just get the body…what do you think?

“… you can still build a house with a hammer and a handsaw ….”

True. But ask a professional carpenter would he rather build said house with ‘medieval tools’ or the latest Black & Decker line of powertools….

We’re looking to move with the DSLR’s for our theatrical projects. Though we intend to spend the money on mattebox kits, I’d rather rig them out for the DSLR’s. I currently have no intention of abandoning tape anytime soon, but the DSLR’s are a nice option and we already use canon still rigs so the transition won’t be so tough.

But in agreement with Earl’s statement; I’ve built a number of houses. Now I’m getting ready to build mansions.

• Viewing 10 reply threads

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2020

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers...
    homicide-bootstrap