Camcorder for High School Football Games

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I will be videotaping my son’s high school football games on Friday nights under the lights. I was thinking of getting either the Panasonic PV-GS300 or the Panasonic PV-GS500. They only have a 10X and 12X optical zoom respectively. Will that zoom be adequate? Also, will light levels be an issue for these camcorders? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Inactive

marley my man!

Now you’re talkin my kind of stuff. πŸ˜€

I do a major high school football project every year for the village I live in. What I do is I film the actual game (plays only) for the coaches and then after words I download that to their VCR’s. I then take my tape home for my stuff. What I do is I pluck out the highlights and start assembling a game by game highlight reel with wild graphics and all of the trimmings for the entire season. Kind of like you see on ESPN when they do the recaps. The players and parents eat this up. I also make a killing selling these as well. At the end of the season I also compile all of the plays of all of the games to DVDs so that there is a permanent record of the season, which is what I think youre planning on doing. My kid who is now in collage still watches them all the time. You should hear the smack talkin when all of his playing buddies come over and start watching them.

I used GL2’s for this. The reason I picked this camera is because they have a 20X optical. You can get right in the huddles with that. Now to be honest with you, you really don’t need that much zoom power when filming the actual plays. 12X will work out OK as long as you’re not too far away from the field.

As far as light goes, that really depends on the field lighting. Each field is different. All but one of the fields I filmed last year had plenty of light so I didnt have any problems at all. On that one field I had to do some special exposure adjustments to offset the problem. My camera has a LUX rating of 6, which isnt the best out there so as a reference… if the camera you finally decide to get has the same or lower LUX rating, youll be fine.

The one BIG piece of advise I have to give you is to get yourself a nice tripod. If youre going to film freehand youll be very sorry. It will be just too hard to watch trust me. πŸ˜‰

Good luck!

RAM

Participant

Hi Ram!

I know this isn’t proper etiquette, but since you answered the gentleman’s question — what an AWESOME idea. I live in Hotlanta and high school football is huge here. If you don’t mind, did someone request this of you or did you just jump in and do it and then subsequently market it? Details, please!! Or should I PM ya? I’d be thrilled with any suggestions on how to go about such an endeavor.

Many, many thanks!!! πŸ˜€

Beth

Inactive

ScriptGirl

Hi Ram!

I know this isn’t proper etiquette, but since you answered the gentleman’s question — what an AWESOME idea. I live in Hotlanta and high school football is huge here. If you don’t mind, did someone request this of you or did you just jump in and do it and then subsequently market it? Details, please!! Or should I PM ya? I’d be thrilled with any suggestions on how to go about such an endeavor.

Beth

Actually Beth, I sort of jumped in and saw the dollar signs later.

Your question wasnt really against etiquette and my answer wont be either as long as I address marley too for he might want to consider doing this since hes already filming his son.

The Readers Digest condensed version:

Im a football fanatic! I also was an assistant HS coach for 20 years so naturally I knew the inside drama and the outside glory of the game. I finally hung up my whistle about 6 years ago because my one and only son was playing middle linebacker so I wanted to watch him rather than coach. Besides 20 years was long enough.

I just so happen to have a great relationship with the current Varsity staff only because I coached 4 of them (including the head coach) back in the early 90S when they were in high school. Apparently we must have did something right back then since they all came back after college to get involved in the program which by the way is kind of a neat and rewarding feeling. 8)

About 5 years ago, I leveraged that relationship with my video skills and thought that it would be neat to put something together for my son and all of his friends on the team. WHY??? Because I wished that someone would have done this for me when I played and I didnt want my son to have to say that. All of a sudden I found myself shooting practices, scrimmages, weigh rooms, looker room speeches and interviews, their annual lock-in and of course the games. As a way to stay in touch with the game, I volunteered my services to video for the coaches too. Back then, they had kids doing it free hand and with analog VHS cams and the videos were actually hard for me to watch so thats when I stepped in. Since I already had this game video, I started editing up this story which covers the first day of practice to the last game. Im not going to lie for this is a MAJOR time consuming project. I know I was under paid but I was doing it more for the love of the game but more importantly then that the love for my son and all of his friends that he always invited over to eat all of my food. The trick was to stay caught up during the season and edit as you go with each weeks game. Finally in the end I had this 1-1/2 to 2 hour DVD project that captured the entire aspect of that particular season that included really cool graphics (thanks to Digital Juice & After Affects), narrations and various types of music. Last year was extra long because they had a really good team and went to the third round in the state playoffs. This was the first time that the high school went this far so you can imagine that it was extra special.

After all of the dust settled and I finished putting the whole thing together, I designed a really neat full size DVD case and started mass producing the DVDs. The kids all knew what I was doing and were constantly on me as to when I would be done. Finally I made arrangements with the high school to schedule a premiere showing in their really nice auditorium on the big screen. Because last year was so extra special, there were over 400 people that showed up. Players, families, friends, grandparents aunts and uncles all came to check this out and re-live the moment. After the show I ended up selling just over 70 copies @ $50.00/ea. πŸ˜€

Its funny because when I see some of the parents out and about, they always tell me that their sons are constantly watching that DVD over and over again. What makes it extra special is that 20 years down the road, these same players will still have this and would then be able to show their kids. Thats what its all about! πŸ˜‰

RAM

Participant

You are so wonderful to share that idea!!!! I, on the other hand, immediately saw dollar signs in the world of the pre-SEC 😯

Your story-telling skills are so cool, too — very dramatic — you sound just like a coach πŸ˜€

My grandfather was a high school football coach and my Dad was the quarterback and you sound just like him. He passed away, so it was very heartwarming thinking of him again. And when I told the idea to my Dad, he immediately jumped in and wanted to help me shoot it. He’s a wonderful photographer, and if I can pull it off the initial contact, it will be a wonderful father/daughter experience for us both, not to mention a profitable one.

Thanks again, Coach. I’ll keep you posted if I have any success with this.

Go DAWGS!!! Sic ’em! Woof, woof, woof!! πŸ˜€

Beth

Participant

Video-maniac Wrote:

ScriptGirl

Hi Ram!

Beth

Actually Beth, I sort of jumped in and saw the dollar signs later.

Your question wasnt really against etiquette and my answer wont be either as long as I address marley too for he might want to consider doing this since hes already filming his son.

The Readers Digest condensed version:

Im a football fanatic! I also was an assistant HS coach for 20 years so naturally I knew the inside drama and the outside glory of the game. I finally hung up my whistle about 6 years ago because my one and only son was playing middle linebacker so I wanted to watch him rather than coach. Besides 20 years was long enough.

I just so happen to have a great relationship with the current Varsity staff only because I coached 4 of them (including the head coach) back in the early 90S when they were in high school. Apparently we must have did something right back then since they all came back after college to get involved in the program which by the way is kind of a neat and rewarding feeling. 8)

About 5 years ago, I leveraged that relationship with my video skills and thought that it would be neat to put something together for my son and all of his friends on the team. WHY??? Because I wished that someone would have done this for me when I played and I didnt want my son to have to say that. All of a sudden I found myself shooting practices, scrimmages, weigh rooms, looker room speeches and interviews, their annual lock-in and of course the games. As a way to stay in touch with the game, I volunteered my services to video for the coaches too. Back then, they had kids doing it free hand and with analog VHS cams and the videos were actually hard for me to watch so thats when I stepped in. Since I already had this game video, I started editing up this story which covers the first day of practice to the last game. Im not going to lie for this is a MAJOR time consuming project. I know I was under paid but I was doing it more for the love of the game but more importantly then that the love for my son and all of his friends that he always invited over to eat all of my food. The trick was to stay caught up during the season and edit as you go with each weeks game. Finally in the end I had this 1-1/2 to 2 hour DVD project that captured the entire aspect of that particular season that included really cool graphics (thanks to Digital Juice & After Affects), narrations and various types of music. Last year was extra long because they had a really good team and went to the third round in the state playoffs. This was the first time that the high school went this far so you can imagine that it was extra special.

After all of the dust settled and I finished putting the whole thing together, I designed a really neat full size DVD case and started mass producing the DVDs. The kids all knew what I was doing and were constantly on me as to when I would be done. Finally I made arrangements with the high school to schedule a premiere showing in their really nice auditorium on the big screen. Because last year was so extra special, there were over 400 people that showed up. Players, families, friends, grandparents aunts and uncles all came to check this out and re-live the moment. After the show I ended up selling just over 70 copies @ $50.00/ea. πŸ˜€

Its funny because when I see some of the parents out and about, they always tell me that their sons are constantly watching that DVD over and over again. What makes it extra special is that 20 years down the road, these same players will still have this and would then be able to show their kids. Thats what its all about! πŸ˜‰

RAM

I have been taking care of football videos for our high school here in Cincinnati. We have a new editing system to cut-up plays etc. to be analyzed later by coaches as well as film trades with opponents.
      I have been considering doing what you are doing. I have a DVD recorder/burner seperate from my computer. Do you know of a good DVD editing software I could use on my computer and interact with my DVD recorder/burner. How or can I connect the burner up with my computer? Any ideas? I would like to put a highlight film together for the seniors this year.
      Thanks

Inactive

Cincinnati,

Theres a little more to it than that. Im not sure what you are using to cut up your game tapes but what I do is I use 3CCD MiniDV style cameras to film the games. Then I capture the whole tape to my PC using a NLE package called Adobe Premiere Pro. From there I edit everything so that I get it exactly the way I want it to look. Then I export that as an AVI file of which will then need to be encoded into DVD formatted mpeg files. Once I have these files in a folder on my hard drive, all I do is just burn this VIDEO_TS folder to a DVD using any kind of burning software and you have your DVD movie.

You are better off editing tape with a half way decent NLE editor and you then use a DVD authoring program to transform that into a playable DVD files. At this point you could burn these files using any burning software that supports DVDs. I have both Adobe Encore and Ulead DVD Workshop 2 for my DVD authoring chores and I use NERO for all of my burning tasks. There are also a few programs out there that combine all of these things together but youll have to do some research on that because Im not sure whats what anymore. Every thing changes so fast its amazing! Companies are always buying up other companies and renaming programs so its almost impossible to keep track anymore.

Good luck!

RAM

Hi, I’d be thrilled with any suggestions on how to go about such an endeavor.
      http://rollingskygame.com/

Participant

Is this spam for a game? Seems a strange reply to an 11 year old topic!

Participant

Please treat each other well. Everybody has difficulties that we have to overcome, do not know later but how to live each day happily.
      Madalin Stunt Cars 2

Participant

I accidentally read your article, it’s very good
      run 3

Participant

great, thanks for sharing.
      worldvaping

Participant

many thanks for this info ^^

Film Streaming

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap