Camcorder Confusion

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi All… this is my first post and new to this site. Here is my delema, I have been driving myself crazy searching for the appropriate camcorder. I’m down to between the Sony DCR-VX2100 vs the Canon GL2. I am fairly new in the videography business other than doing personal work for family and friends. Over the last several month, threw word of mouth, I’ve received a number of calls asking to shoot different events including weddings and sporting events, including skills tapes for college entry. I feel that I am now to the point where I need to upgrade from my personal camera to a more professional one.

The two mentioned are in my budget because of the need for a microphone, stabalizer, lighting, etc… please give me your expert 2 cents or even 3 cents on which of the two you would suggest or if there’s another. My intention is to pick up 1 now and another within the next 6 months.

Looking forward to some input.

Inactive

Howdy France2,

Both are fine Cameras to own, and either way, you won’t be disapointed with the quality.

The GL-2 doesn’t work quite as well in low light as the VX-2100 does, but on the flip side, it’s also more affordable, and has a couple small extras you don’t get on the VX-2100 (not that they’re anything terribly important to have).

As far as picture goes, both do a terific job, and either one would bring you into the pro gear realm.

Participant

Thanks Jim… looks like it basically down to price then in helping with this decision. Have you found or are you aware of any conflicks with clients due to the Canon GL2 not being black? Might be a dumb question but one that I was concerned about – I want to look as professional as possible.

Thanks,
      Francine

Inactive

You know, I’ve honestly had no complaints about my GL-2’s as far as the look goes. The 2100 does have a bit more of the ENG/Newscasting look to it than the GL-2 does, but honestly, either one will still demand respect.

Remember that most people who will see you at work are used to using their tiny little consumer camera that doesn’t come with even a lens hood. The GL-2 is going to look a lot more pro than what they see and use every day.

I’ll admit that looks do matter to an extent, but if you really want a camera that has the "look", then you really need to just save up for an XL-2 and go that way. Panasonic makes the C7, which looks really professional too, but I would advise you not to buy that. It’s an inferior camera put into an oversized body. However, it does look really neat, and that’s not at all a bad thing.

Participant

Thanks Jim for your thoughts and input … I’m really glad I found this site and all the help you all provide.

Till next time,
      Francine

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap