Cam was stolen

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

So, I woke up the other morning to find my camera missing. I thought maybe one of my roommates had played a joke on me, but it’s gone. The only thing we can think of is that someone got into the house and took it. They took my camera, and a friends camera that I borrowed to film a wedding, and a bookbag. The thing is, I had all my footage in the camera bag from the wedding. Are there any certain professional ways of going about telling the couple that their footage is gone? I’m going to refund their money for sure. I just feel horrible about it, and yet there’s not much I can do. Has anyone else had this happen? What did you do?

Thanks,
      Lee

Inactive

Ugh, that’s terrible. πŸ™ I really hope you can get your stuff back. I was literally just thinking about this very issue (expensive equipment + roommates) before reading your post.

I think compusolver’s course of action looks solid.

Anyone have any tips to prevent this from happening?

Inactive

Careful about friends who can do more harm than enemies.
      Hank is right. Again.

Participant

Well, after talking it over with one of my roommates (I have 5), we have an idea of who we think it might be. One of the roommates had his brother and a friend over the other night (The night before I noticed it missing). The roommate was not here, so it was just his brother and the friend for most of the time. I was working late that nite, and they were gone before I got there. Obviously, I have no proof of any of this, but the roommate is going to mention it to his parents and have them keep an eye out.

When my other roommate returned from visiting home for a few weeks, he said that his PDA was missing as well as a few pair of pants. So, we’re figuring it’s probably the same people.

I’m not sure how I could go about doing the reward thing. The brother and his friend live about an hour away, and they probably won’t be coming back any time soon. I’m really hoping and praying that they turn up, but if they don’t, at least that’s all they took. There’s plenty of other stuff in the house they could have taken, but granted, those were probably the smallest most expensive things they could have taken.

Thanks for the advice. I’m really not sure what to do other than file a police report, at least to have it on record.

Inactive

Good stuff, Hank. Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us.

Participant

Renters Insurance is really cheap. Might be a good idea.

Participant

Buddy, I feel for you. However, the sooner you tell them the better, I think.

Participant

Man I feel for you.
      Many years a go a friend of mine had taken photographs of a wedding (video was only new then and editing was never heard of) .
      He sent his film to a lab for developing and was to pick them up on the Saturday morning (no all day Saturday trading back then), but couldn’t make it so left it for Monday pick up (No Sunday trading back then either.) Over the weekend the lab burnt down and he lost all the negatives.

Now comes the astounding part – keep in mind this was his second job.
      After speaking to his clients about the problem, he gave them a solution. They would do a retake of the wedding all over again. Close family and friends were flown from over OZ and put up in motels for the weekend Wedding gowns etc were re-hired, The Church re booked – even a mock reception and cake. The whole kit and kaboodle was paid for by my friend – including the photographs, which were absolutly astounding!!!!!!!!!!!!

He believed he had a moral obligation to these people for the most important day in ther lives and did this for complete strangers.
      Well they say what goes around comes around – or visa versa.
      After he did this, lost money on the whole thing (actually got a loan to pay ofr it) , his services were in such high demand by people who were told of what he had done, he had to turn work away. He swore black and blue that he would never enter the relm of digital photopraphy where any “hack” using “photoshop” could adulterate a photo.
      His work was pure art and no two photoraphs of the same subject were the same. Each and every photo was personally dodged and burned by hand give a piece of himself to his work.
      He became a “Master” of photography – a very rare a precious qualification in the photographic relm.
      Saddly he was taken away from us but his Magic still adorns the lounge room wall

His favourite catch phrase was ” Let’s do it in the dark and see what develops”

I think today he’d giggle at my sons catch phrase. When the (computer) chips are down – no work gets done

Participant

I had mentioned the reward idea to some of the guys, but it hasn’t come up w/ anything. But, as some good news, my parent’s homeowners insurance is going to cover it since I’m still a student in school. There’s a $500 deductible, which stinks, but I’ll still get something back. The week that it happened I called the police, and they sent someone to the house, and we talked and he tried telling me there was nothing they could do, which I understood. But I really know nothing about filing a police report, and I assumed that when I called them up and they took my information that a report was made, but apparently not, so I have to call them back up and get them to file a report, so I can give an incident number to the insurance co. So, at least there’s some light at the end of the tunnel. I’m just thanking God that I can get at least something back, though it’s not all of it.

Participant

About the tapes, guess I forgot to mention it, but I do have them. I had taken them out and set them in my room before the cameras were taken, so thankfully I have most of the footage. I think I have everything that I shot with my camera, I just don’t have the footage shot from the other angle from the other camera. But that’s okay, it’ll still work out.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap