Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews › Forums › General › Video Contests & Festivals › Call for Entries: Electric Cinema
- This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 11 years, 5 months ago by Anonymous.
June 17, 2010 at 11:10 PM #41808AnonymousInactive
<strong style=”color: #000000; font-size: 1.5em; font-weight: bold;” title=”Submit your pitch to create an Electric Short film”>Submit your
pitch to create a short film for Electric Cinema
5,000 to create an Electric Short film
at a Soho House Property
- Host: Electric
<p style=”display: inline;”>Pitch your
film proposal themed on Desire in no
more than 400 words, and win the opportunity to shoot it for real at a
Soho House property.
This summer the Soho House Group will launch the Electric Shorts
film competition, supported by Mercedes-Benz and in association with
Empire Magazine. Electric Shorts will give both unknown and established
filmmakers the opportunity to have their work championed by a group of
film and media experts, plus the chance to win 5,000 to make a film
which will be screened at the world famous Electric Cinema.
(BEFORE YOU ENTER, PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE RULES AND TERMS
LOCATED UNDER THE DETAILS SECTION)
-Write a 400 word pitch
themed on “Desire”
-Go to http://tlnt.at/ajMMWC
in to your Talenthouse profile and click the ‘Participate’ button
your pitch in PDF format
June 17, 2010 at 11:37 PM #176769composite1Member
Okay, anyone interested in this contest better read the terms and conditions first. Everything I found particularly pertinent I’ve bolded:
DRAFT TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR ELECTRIC SHORTS COMPETITION
1. The Electric Shorts Competition (the “Competition”) will be
governed by these terms and conditions (the “Terms”) and by submitting
an entry to the Competition entrants agree that they have read and
understood these Terms and will be bound by them.
2. The promoter of this Competition is Soho House Limited
with its registered address at 72-74 Dean Street, London, W1D 3SG, with
company number: 03288116 (the “Promoter”). The Promoter’s media partner
is Empire Magazine (“Empire”), and the Promoter’s prize partner is
3. This Competition is open to the general public aged 18
and over, excluding employees and immediate relatives of employees
(defined for the purpose of these Terms as husband, wife, mother,
father, sister, brother, son, daughter, or persons residing in the
household of such employees), of the Promoter, Empire and Mercedes-Benz
and/or of their respective parent companies, subsidiary companies,
affiliated companies, advertising and promotion (including public
relations) agencies or any other person professionally connected with
1. This is a two-stage Competition:
– Stage 1 – Entries are submitted and seven Finalists are
selected by a Panel to receive a Prize Grant to make an Electric Short;
– Stage 2 – a Winner is chosen from the Finalists by online
1. Entries must be submitted by the closing date at midday on 1
July 2010 (the “EntryPeriod”).
2. Following selection, Finalists will be required to
complete the Electric Short ready for screening, by 1 October 2010.
3. A public vote will be conducted online after 1 October
2010, and the Main Prize will be announced following the results of the
HOW TO ENTER
1. Each entrant to the Competition (an “Entrant”) must visit the
competition website: http://www.talenthouse.com (the “Website”) during the
Entry Period and submit their name along with a written proposal of no
longer than 400 words for an Electric Short (an “Entry”). DO NOT INCLUDE
YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION ON YOUR SUBMISSION. If you are a finalist, you
will be asked by an employee of Talenthouse Inc. to provide your
contact information, to forward on to the judges.
2. For the purposes of these Terms, the proposed Electric
– be no longer than two (2) minutes including titles and
– be directed and produced by the Entrant;
– reflect the theme of ‘Desire’;
– be set in one of the following Soho House Group locations:
— i. Babington;
— ii. Dean Street Townhouse;
— iii. Cowshed;
— iv. Soho House New York;
— v. Shoreditch Rooms;
— vi. Soho House Berlin; and
— vii. High Road House
(an “Electric Short”).
1. By submitting an Entry, Entrants confirm that all
information provided is true and accurate to the best of their knowledge
and belief and that the Entrant has the right to submit the Entry.
2.If any Entrant is determined by the Promoter to have
breached these Terms they will be disqualified. In the event that a
Finalist is disqualified the Promoter will choose another Winner at
random from the other Entries submitted during the Entry Period.
3. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for lost, damaged,
incomplete or delayed entries. Proof of entry is not proof of receipt.
No Entries will be returned.
RESTRICTIONS ON ENTRY
1. All proposals for Electric Shorts:
– must be original;
– must not have been made into a film previously by the
– must have been made specifically for the Electric Shorts
– must not contain any illegal, antisocial, obscene or
defamatory subject matter; and
– must not infringe any third party intellectual property
2. Entries are limited to one (1) Entry per person. Multiple
Entries will be void and the Promoter reserves the right to disqualify
Entrants who attempt to make multiple Entries.
3. Entries received outside of the Entry Period will not be
eligible to win a Prize.
4. Entries that are incomplete will be deemed invalid. No
responsibility will be accepted by the Promoter for Entries lost,
delayed or damaged in transmission.
SELECTION OF FINALISTS
1. A list of seven finalists, one for each Soho House Group
location, will be chosen by a panel of judges which includes industry
experts such as Kris Thykier, Claudia Winkleman, Mark Dinning, Andy
Harries, Rebekah Gilbertson, Amanda Posey, Finola Dwyer and Duncan Heath
(the “Panel”) using the following criteria:
– reflection of the theme of ‘Desire’; and
– use of the Soho House Group locations.
2. The finalists will be notified by phone or email within
ten (10) days of the decision of the Panel which shall, in any event, be
given no later than six (6) weeks following the end of the Entry
3. If a finalist does not confirm acceptance of the Prize
Grant and the Prize Grant Terms and Conditions (as defined below) within
ten (10) days of notification then the finalist will be deemed to have
forfeited his/her position in the final and the Promoter shall
re-allocate the position of finalist by choosing another finalist using
the criteria listed at clause 17 above from the other Entries submitted
during the Entry Period. This process shall be repeated until a finalist
accepts his position in the final and is identified as a finalist (a
4. Each Finalist will receive 5,000 in cash (allocated in
local currency), from the Promoter to make their Electric Short along
with such reasonable pre-approved travel and accommodation expenses as
agreed in advance, in writing, between the Promoter and each Finalist
(the “Prize Grant”).
5. For the avoidance of doubt, the Promoter, Empire and
Mercedes-Benz are not liable for any costs of the film over and above
the 5,000 grant (allocated in local currency), or any other
pre-approved travel and accommodation expenses as agreed in advance in
writing by the Promoter.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS AND CLEARANCES
1. In order to receive the Prize Grant each Finalist is required to
sign up to terms and conditions regarding the shooting specifications,
clearance rights and the licences to be granted to the Promoter (the
“Prize Grant Terms and Conditions”).
2. The Prize Grant Terms and Conditions will require certain
licences to be granted to the Promoter, Mercedes-Benz and Empire in
relation to the Electric Short, however any intellectual property rights
in the Electric Short will remain the property of the Finalist.
3. As stated above, any finalist who refuses to sign up to
the Prize Grant Terms and Conditions will be deemed to have forfeited
his or her position in the final and the Prize Grant.
HOW TO WIN
1. The winner will be determined by public vote on the website
http://www.electricshorts.com for a period following submission of the Electric
Shorts on 1 October 2010.
THE MAIN PRIZE
1. The Winner will receive a complimentary Soho House Everyhouse
Membership for two (2) years subject to Soho House??s standard
membership terms and conditions, as advised at the time the membership
is granted to the Winner (the “Main Prize”).
2. The Winner is responsible for all other costs incurred as
part of the Main Prize including but not limited to all beverages,
spending money, meals or travel costs.
3. There is no cash or other alternative to the Main Prize
stated and the Main Prize is not transferable and no part or parts of
the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions.
Notwithstanding the above, in the event that the Main Prize is
unavailable, due to reasons beyond the reasonable control of the
Promoter, the Promoter may at its absolute discretion vary or amend the
Main Prize offered under this Competition, provided that any alternative
prize offered in replacement of a the Main Prize shall be of equal or
greater value than the original Main Prize.
1. The Promoter will initially attempt to notify the Winner by
telephone within fourteen (14) days of the end of the public vote and
will follow up by written confirmation either by post or e-mail.
2. In the event that the Promoter cannot for any reason
contact the Winner within seven (7) days of first notification or should
the Winner fail to get back in touch with the Promoter within four (4)
weeks of first notification the Winner will be deemed to have forfeited
the Main Prize and the Panel shall re-allocate the Main Prize by
choosing another Winner from the Finalists. This process shall be
repeated until a Winner claims the Main Prize and is identified as the
3. Upon acceptance of the Main Prize the Winner will be
contacted by the Promoter within ten (10) days with details of how to
redeem the Main Prize.
4. The Winner may be required to provide a written
acknowledgment of acceptance of all the Terms of the Competition prior
to receiving the Main Prize.
5. The Winner of the Main Prize is responsible for all
applicable taxes and expenses not specified in the prize description.
6. The Promoter reserves the right to select an alternative
Winner in the event that the Promoter has reasonable grounds for
believing that a selected Winner has contravened any of these Terms.
7. The Promoter’s decision is final with respect to any
aspect of the Competition, including the determination of the Winner of
the Main Prize. No correspondence will be entered into.
PUBLICITY AND PERSONAL DATA
1. Finalists agree to participate in publicity activities
pertaining to the Competition as connected with the Promoter,
Mercedes-Benz and Empire, including interviews and appearances in photo
and video content.
2. By entering this Competition, Entrants agree that the
Promoter may disclose their name and county on the website
http://www.electricshorts.com and in promotional material in the event that an
Entrant is selected as a Finalist or Winner.
3. Any personal information, including without limitation,
the entrant’s name, age, address (including postcode), telephone number
and/or email address will be used solely in connection with this
Competition and for any purpose for which the entrant specifically opts
in and will not be disclosed to any third party apart from the Promoter,
Mercedes-Benz and Empire Magazine except for (a) the purpose of
fulfilling the prize(s) where applicable and (b) for any purpose for
which the entrant specifically opts in. Any personal information held by
the Promoter in respect of any Competition will be held on record for a
reasonable period to fulfill the purpose for which such personal
information was collected.
1. Each provision excluding or limiting liability is to be
construed separately and will apply and survive even if for any reason
any of the other provisions are held to be inapplicable or unenforceable
in any circumstances. Each of the provisions excluding or limiting
liability will remain in force notwithstanding any termination of these
2. The Promoter shall not be liable for any delay in
performing or partial or total failure to perform any of its obligations
to the Entrants under these Terms if such delay or failure is caused by
circumstances beyond its reasonable control including without
limitation delays, changes, disruptions, cancellations, diversions or
substitutions howsoever caused including without limitation as a result
of war, terrorist action or threatened terrorist action, strikes,
hostilities, civil commotions, accidents, fire, flood or natural
catastrophes or arising without limitation out of or in connection with
(i) the activities of third party event organisers; (ii) any form of
transportation (including but not limited to flights, trains, coaches,
buses, ferries, taxis or cars). For the avoidance of doubt, the
affected Entrants shall be solely liable for any additional costs
incurred as a result.
3. The Promoter reserves the right, at any time and from
time to time, to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the
Competition with or without prior notice due to reasons outside its
control (including, without limitation, in the case of anticipated,
suspected or actual fraud). The decision of the Promoter in all matters
under its control is final and binding.
4. Nothing in these Terms shall limit the Promoter’s
liability for death or personal injury caused by negligence of the
Promoter and/or deceit or fraud by Promoter.
5. These Terms may be amended or varied at any time by the
Promoter on notice. No waiver of any rights by the Promoter or any
entrant will be taken as a waiver of any other rights it may have. For
example, if the Promoter waives its right to complain about a particular
breach of these Terms by an entrant, it does not prevent the Promoter
from complaining about other breaches.
6. These Terms shall be governed by and construed in
accordance with the laws of England and Wales and any disputes shall be
subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
7. Any queries regarding the Competition should specify the name of
the Competition and be addressed to: Soho House Group, 72-74 Dean
Street, London, W1D 3SG.
<strong style=”display: block;”>Submission requirements
Submit your written proposal in PDF format. It must reflect the theme of
Desire in no more than 400 words. Entries must be submitted by July 1
- The forum ‘Video Contests & Festivals’ is closed to new topics and replies.