Buying a new computer.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m going to get a new comp(PC) primarily for editing. I’m looking at something quadcore,8gig. Not sure hat editing program im going top use yet, any suggestions welcome for something user friendly as i dont have experience in editing. Anyway i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of anything certain i should add onto the comp to make it run smoother or anything. I dont want to have to add things on after its bought. I currently have a xl2 which is 4sale and hv40,later on i may switch over to sd cards and do away with tapes. I was looking at dells and they dont offer anything with a firewire port so i will have to have that added on.

DNSVideoDNSVideo
      Participant

Here are the specifications for Pinnacle Studio 15 HD Ultimate. Go on the sites for various editing packages and see what specs you need. You’re already part way there with the quadcore.

• Windows 7, Windows Vista (SP2), or Windows XP (SP3)
      • Intel Pentium or AMD Athlon 1.8 GHz (2.4 GHz or higher recommended)

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz required for AVCHD*
        Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz or Intel Core i7 required for
        AVCHD* 1920

• 1 GB system memory recommended, 2 GB required for AVCHD*
      • DirectX 9 or 10 compatible graphics card with 64 MB (128 MB or higher recommended)
        256 MB required for HD and AVCHD*
      • DirectX 9 (or higher) compatible sound card
      • 3.8 GB of disk space
      • DVD-ROM drive to install software

Import Formats

• Video: AVCHD*, AVCHD Lite*, BD Blu-ray*, DV, HDV, AVI, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, DivX, MPEG-4*, 3GP (MPEG-4)*, WMV, non-encrypted DVD titles (incl. DVD-VR/+VR), QuickTime MOV (DV, MPEG-4*, H.264*), DivX Plus MKV*
      • Audio: MP3, MPA, WAV, AC3*, WMA
      • Graphic: BMP, GIF, JPG, PCX, PSD, TGA, TIF, WMF, PNG, J2K

Export Formats

• AVCHD*, AVCHD Lite*, BD Blu-ray*, HD-DVD, DVD (DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, or DVD+RW, dual layer), S-VCD, Video CD (VCD)
      • Apple iPod, Sony PSP/PS3, Nintendo Wii, Microsoft Xbox compatible formats*
      • YouTube HD
      • DV, HDV, AVI, DivX*, RealVideo 8, WMV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4*, Flash, 3GP*, WAV, MP3*, QuickTime MOV, DivX Plus MKV*
      • Dolby Digital 2-channel and 5.1-channel audio*

Input Options

• Capture from DV, HDV, and Digital8 camcorders or VCRs requires a FireWire port
      • Capture from analog camcorders, 8 mm, HI 8, VHS, SVHS, VHS-C,
        SVHS-C, or VCRs (NTSC/PAL/SECAM)-requires Pinnacle or Dazzle video
        hardware)
      • Import from AVCHD* and other file-based camcorders, digital still cameras, mobile devices, and webcams via USB

Output Options

• Output to DV, HDV, or Digital8 tape (requires camcorder with FireWire input port and a PC with a DV/FireWire port)
      • Output to analog videotape (requires DirectShow-compatible device with video output)

Optional Accessories

• CD burner for creating Video CDs or Super Video CDs (S-VCDs)
      • DVD burner for creating DVD and AVCHD* discs
      • Blu-ray burner for creating Blu-ray discs*
      • Sound card with surround sound output required for preview of surround sound mixes*

Here’s the Link!

Participant

Beyond the above listed specs, from experience, I would really suggest you go with an I7 chip running at 3.0+ ghz. Also a secondary hard drive, either internal or external. If you get an external, or not, make sure the computer has USB 3.0 (USB slot is blue colored).

A huge plus is having dual monitors. One to run your video editing and the other to surf your library of files.

I have two machines, one on the AMD chip that meets the requirements and one on the I7 and I have been happier with my I7’s overall performance more than my AMD. Fan of the AMD chips but right now the edge goes to the I7. (I have nor Ford vs Chevy loyalties. He who goes faster gets my cash.)

Participant

Only one piece of advice, whatever you buy, it will function much better and remain that way, if its primary-drive, (usually Drive C:) is kept lean and mean by means of regular maintenance and being kept free of superfluous material. I was recently faced with the problem of my Drive C: choking-up, and sought the services of a serviceman trained in Europe. I suggested that a bigger and better Drive C: might be in-order, but he convinced me that was not my problem. The fault in most computers, is that so much temporary and useless data is plonked, by ‘default’in Drive C:. That, in ‘Windows’ at least, is usually where the registry is. With every small item of unnecessary data which Drive C: accumulates, the amount of ‘junk’ to be waded through each time you do something on your computer becomes greater and greater. Eventually, there is so much of this rubbish, that your computer simply throws up its hands,cries ‘enough’ and quits. My serviceman’s advice, was to relocate everything which should not, essentially, be on the same drive as the registry, elsewhere in the computer. If a good registry cleaner is used, daily if need be, and I maintain an uncommitted’overhead’ of 15gB upwards free of data on my primary drive, my computer seems set to tick-along like a well oiled little ‘Singer’ sewing-machine, hopefully forever. The superficially attractive solution of simply adding a larger primary-drive does not accomplish anything worthwhile. My new computer, which I expect to purchase after the New Year period, has, as standard, a 1tB primary-drive, whereas 200gb would be more than adequate and I would be looking to use only a fraction of its capacity, or, possibly, re-partition it.

A good quick-fix, is to have a long, hard look at ‘Documents-and-Settings’ every now and then, (I use an analysis programme). That will undoubtedly show that non-essential rubbish which has been dumped there by software installations which used the usual ‘defaults’ is by far the biggest thing on the drive. It’s not merely a matter of specifying more computer ‘grunt’: It is, equally, a matter of making the most efficient use of what ‘grunt’ you already have.

Participant

Thanks for all the responses. here are the specs of the computer im looking at now. Also still not sure which editing program i will use. I have a seagate external hard drive, it says USB 2.0 on the box but also says upgradable to 3.0?

As far as keeping the system clean i was really thinking of using the new system just for editing and nothing else, i have my desktop now that still pretty fast so i dont really need anything upgraded for just everyday internet use. Dual monitors is a good suggestions, i didn’t think of that.

XPS 8300 Intel Core i7-2600 processor(8MB Cache, 3.4GHz)8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz – 4x2GBAMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3500GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM

Windows 7 SystemStandard USB 2.0 + 10/100/1000 Ethernet

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, English, No Media

Participant

Not sure why it (the above post) has all those codes. I was trying to copy/paste from email quote and can’t get rid of it.

It’s a BUG Iggy. After pasting you need to go into “edit” and clean out the code then it will be much easier to read for all of us. πŸ™‚

Participant

What everyone was talking about on the keeping it “clean” is that your system should operate off of one drive and your video files residing on another. Runs better when the one drive isn’t pulling double duty.

Participant

Oh ok thanks moab. Iv talked with different people over last month or so about various things pertaining to editing and hear different stories on alot of things. I think i just got bad information from some and it confused me so i decided to start over at square 1 and get all my needed info here and nowhere else.

It was said i should get a 3.0 USB, this comp comes standard with 2.0 but i can upgrade. What will having the 3.0 do for me?

Participant

igotthat you are in the right place to learn. The old dogs around here really know their stuff and are quite helpful.

That was me about the USB 3.

1. USB 2 runs through USB 3
      2. USB 3, in time, will become the standard replacing USB 2
      3. Transfer rate is much better than USB 2, particularly for the large video files you will deal with.

My secondary drive is a USB 3 external and it allows me portability and speed I need to work my video files.

Participant

ok thanks for explaining, 3 would be a good option to add now just to have for later. The camera i use right now though hv40 can only use firewire to transfer, i am thinking of switching to a hf m40 though which does use USB to transfer. I also have a d3100 iv been playing with.

Is adobe user friendly? I decided to go that way with PC because iv never used a mac and for cost.

Participant

I’m a Pinnacle 12, 14, Magix 17, and now Avid Studio user. I can’t speak to Adobe. Pinnacle 12 had it’s freeze up issues, Pinnacle 14 drove me to look elsewhere, Magix 17 frustrated me because not all of it worked as it should (my unresolved rant about Magix 17 is around here somewhere), and I love Avid Studio. It worked for me as all the previous programs should have.

Participant

I messed with a avid free trial a little online, like i said im very new to editing so wasn’t sure about alot i was doing anyway. iv seen the prices on adobe, FC etc. and i think the avid was only like $60 on the site where i got the trial. Why so cheap compared to others if it does the same thing?

maybe i should add to that my material will be going to youtube then eventually onto DVD that i then have replicated.

Participant

^^^ Sorry it was AVS editor not avid..

Participant

I read up on that avs and as I understand it, you never own a program and continue to pay year after year. Most companies offer a free trial period. I would start there and see what you like. Generally, the more you pay the more you get along with a steeper learning curve. So for now start with trying out free trial periods.

Participant

AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3, is this enough for the video?

Participant

That card exceeds the recommended specs for both Pinnacle 15 and Avid studio.

Participant

Ok, a friend of mine has a copy of sony vegas hes giving me so i think im going to use that to start with.

Participant

What I did was…I went to adobe since I knew I would be using premiere and I got all their specs including the suggested video cards for “cuda” I was gonna build my own but time was tight. I went to best buy and bought a dell studio I7 I believe with 12 gb ram, and then the video card and a new pwr supply and came home and ripped it apart. Everything works fine and plenty fast. I did seeone thing last week about w7 “home” not utilizing any ram above 8 gb? I need to check into that more, But system is running nice. good luck

Harry

Participant

@Weddingmaster-

The RAM restriction on Win7 Home 64-bit is 16 GB, so you should be fine.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap