Buying a camcorder… HELP PLEASE!!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi All,

I want to buy a camcorder for making short films… I want as good quality as possible and by that I mean I would like to get as close to film as possible (without shooting on film :p). That would mean at least HD1080, 24 frames… ability to shoot slow motion (60-120 or higher), shallow depth of field is also a must.

I’m looking to spend around $5-7K any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Participant

Have you checked out the video series in this topic yet?

http://videomaker.com/community/forums/topic/the-great-shootout-is-here

Inactive

from what I can see this is more on DSLR cameras, I’m looking for a camcorder type device

Participant

I pointed this out because of two of your requirements that are pretty hard to find in a camcorder.

…I would like to get as close to film as possible (without shooting on film :p).

… shallow depth of field is also a must.

This comparison was done on how well thee DSLRs did video and compared them to film. There a re many on this board that feel that the sensor/package format of these DSLRs are the nextgeneration of cinema camera.

Participant

At a $7k budget you’re gonna be hard pressed for phenomenal depth of field – You could go with a $3-4K camera and a lens adapter – something like this: http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/M2EncoreBundles for about $2k leaving you about $1-2k for a lens(es) (depends on what’s left over).

Inactive

At that price range I would pick up a HVX200 off Ebay, then invest the rest in a Letus 35mm lens adapter kit. Also you could look at getting a Red Scarlet, but I am not even sure if those are shipping yet and if they are god only knows how long the wait list is on them. A third option would be getting a DSLR, I hear good things about the Canon 5D, but if you go that route be prepared to rent a hard disc recorder because you probably arnt going to want to run your location sound mix to this camera.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Professional Fixed-Lens Camcorder Buyer’s Guide

Best camcorders for any video shooter — 2020

Professional camcorders are often smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have more controls than other cameras. These are the best on the market today.
homicide-bootstrap