Burning HD DVD’s – Help please

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’ve recently bought a Sanyo HD700 video camera and have been trying to burn 720p video from the SD card to a DVD but the process seems to takeso long I think I’m too old at 50 to burn more than one movie!… is there a quicker way or am I doing something wrong? The footage direct from the camera to a TV is excellent quality but almost unwatchable becauseeach clip starts and ends with a still shot and no audio. This can be removed byjoining the clips in the Adobe Premier freebie software that came with the camera. I then need to burn the file to a DVD, but the encoding process for about 20 minutes of video takes 6-8 hours??

I have two lap-tops, both with DVDdrives – one with an AMDTurion processor and the other with a Pentium Dual Core and 2 Mb RAM … but both take forever.

Is there a quick, resonably simple wayI can make a DVDfrom the SD card without the annoying freeze frames between every shot and withiout having to run the lap top overnight?

Thanks for any help from the experts!

Participant

Explain more about what you’re doing.

Are you capturing/importing footage into an editing program, cutting the clips to music to create awatch-ablevideo, and then trying to burn to a DVD that can be popped into a DVD player for viewing?

Or are you simply capturing/importing footage and trying to store it onto a DVD as data.

If you are doing either of these, what steps are you doing afterward to get the video into your DVD Authoring program.

How old/fast are your computers? I believe the encoding has more to do with processing speed than it does RAM.

Participant

Hi … it’s the former … I’m importing the footage into Premier, linking them in ‘scene’ mode, adding some titlesandtransitions, deleting the odd scene then burning the final ‘project’to a DVD soI can play the video on a normal DVD player.

The AMD Turion 64 is an HP Pavillion about two years old, but the Pentium is brand new Acer Aspire 2920Z

Participant

hmm…doesn’t sound like you’re doing anything too complicated. Maybe you have to compress the video so it’s not such a big file that is being burned onto the DVD. I’m not sure what kind of files work best with your DVD authoring program, but i would guess .avi if you’re using a PC. See if you can export your timeline from the video editing program as a .avi and try compressing the video some.

Participant

Thanks …… I’ll give it a try ….

The file sizewas 700-900 Mb depending on compression applied

Participant

damn that’s it? That’s not very big at all. I dunno. Sorry I don’t have an answer.

Inactive

As I see it, your general plan is to use your camcorder to record HD video to a flash memory card. Move the card to your computer and whether you copy the files to your hard drive or use them as they are on the SD card, the system will work the same. Now you open Adobe Premiere Express (or whatever) and import video from the SD card. This is done at faster than real time, then you can add a touch of flash to the program and you’re ready to make a DVD. Using your version of Premiere, under the render options you select “save video on DVD” and hit GO. Then fourteen months later, out pops a Standard Definition DVD of your 720p recording in 16:9 MPG2 format that when inserted into a DVD player will start, play once and stop. I’ll have a couple of questions about your workflow later, but first we should look at where your bottlenecks may lie.

The biggest processor hog I see is video compression. The native files copied from the flash memory card are HD 720p files. Your version of Premiere deals with that format natively. And then it’s time to shrink the video to play on an ordinary DVD player. If there are any options available, you’d want to select “Highest” quality rendering. The highest quality rendering of any video format into MPEG2 files uses a two-pass processing system that roughly triples the processing time over a one-pass render setting. But in my estimation, the results are more than worth it.

What I see as your largest consumer of time is the compression of HD 720p into MPG2 SD video for DVD’s. Sometimes a tweak on the NLE can cause it to default differently. Like adjusting the project properties in Premiere to 16:9 SD video. So when Premiere pre-renders the entire project before compression, it isn’t making an HD 720p version for compression (especially a two-pass compression.) If project properties are set for SD video, the pre-render (to generate actual SD video with EFX & graphics and audio mixes) may take a little longer, but the MPG2 compression will practically fly, even in a two-pass compression.

If that doesn’t help, there may be an easy work-around. The enormous time consumed to compress the video in the computer might be eliminated by using a “real time” video capture. My understanding is that a lot of flash media camcorders are able to play back SD video via their Firewire (IEEE 1394) port. Import the video in a 16:9 SD video with only Intra-frame compression, AVI is my first thought, then you use that to edit and print to DVD. If the camcorder doesn’t provide the SD playback function, you can do your own video format conversion before you do your editing. Use your Adobe NLE splice all the source video any which way is easiest, then render it to your hard drive as something like an AVI file. Turn around and start a new project using that file and you’ll almost certainly experience a drastic reduction in the time it takes for the edited program to end up burned to a DVD.

Hope this helps! But I did want to make sure you’re using the most appropriate format for recording your video.

Since you record to flash media, you are almost certainly re-using your SD cards. So you must have some method of archiving those source files in their native format. Some folks buy external hard drives and store video data until it is full, then replace the drive with another and store the full drive as a permanent back-up. Others, like myself, use DVD’s as data disc’s and store 20 minutes of AVI per DVD to saving the highest quality video we have, then store the DVD’s for permanent back-up. But my point is that if you’re not saving your original video files, you could save a lot of time by recording in an SD format at the outset.

I don’t want to sound insulting or insinuate everyone should be archiving their raw video. I worked for many years directly with video beginners and I was surprised at how few actually saved their original tapes once they’d finished their editing. They saved the edited programs and made copies till they’d nearly wear out. But anyway, if you’re not saving your HD source files so your grandchildren can use the video in HD to tease their parents, or your children, or some such possibility. If you’re not saving the raw video for future possibilities, you’re much better off starting out nearer the format you’re going to actually save it in.

But if you are, like myself, archiving your video for no apparent reason, then take heart in this, “If somehow our civilization was destroyed, then centuries later, when our mutated descendants began to explore ages past by digging through the layer of plastic debris marking our highest point in history, they may just find your ancient archive of family videos (we hope) and YOUR family will be presented as representatives of life before planerary collapse!” Cool, eh?

So anyway, try fooling with your project properties first, but use just a two minute clip written to a DVD-RW, if written at all. But you’ve described a text book version of the symptoms of extreme compression, even though your end-product doesn’t look compressed at all. Take heart I believe you’ll soon lick this problem.

Now have fun and Good Luck!

Participant

Try outputting the same file with with different compressions settings and compare quality and file sizes.

one thing I noticed in quicktime/finalcut (may not apply to other editors) is the compression quality settings on export are misleading.

“Highest Quality” compression equals smaller movie file, and most compression. in a movie clip short enough to fit a dvd, a single pass on low quality compressions settings, shortens the render times, and in some instances improves video quality. (for example a 2 hour movie to Appletv format will look better than the same movie compressed to fit a single layer dvd.).

Participant

Thanks for the excellent tips …. and the thought that my daughter’s gymnastic class might be used to represent the pinnacle of 21st Century development!

I’ll have another go at it and try out all the suggestions. What confuses me as a beginner is that I thought the video was already highly compressed to fit it on the SD card in the first place …. so why is the PC takinghours trying to compress it again? And yes, I am keeping the original SD cards as the archive copy. My intention was to find a way to remove the irritating freeze frames at the start of each clip and to save to DVD to make it simple for my wife and daughter to watch the footage on the TV. I also want to make copies of the DVD to torture my mother in law. Perhaps I should have bought a DVD camcorder in the first place? But they seem to have other limitations.

On the issue of high v lowquality and compression…. with Premier the Highest Quality has the largest file size and fastest bit rate, so I’m guessing that this is the lowest compression?

If I could find a simple way to burn the memory card footage to a DVD without the freeze frames between each shot, I’d be happy to drop the titles, transitions and editing in return for less time and complexity.I can doany editing in the camera. In the olden days I used to record my miniDV tapes to VHS video tapes in ‘real, real time’ and that was it … but the quality reduction was not acceptable after we bought a huge high def telly. Progress!

Participant

Just thought oftwo supplementary question for the panel …..

1. Both my TV and DVD player (Samsung) claim to be High Definition, and the TV can certainly display the 720p footage direct from the camerain glorious highdefness. But if I want to record to a DVD in high definition will I need to invest in Blu-Ray or can a so-called HD DVD player play 720p DVD’s burned on a lap top?

2. Is the annoying freeze frame at the start and end of each clip a symptom of the AVCHD format or is this a problem unique to the Sanyo HD camcorders? If you have a solid state or hard disk video camera – does yours have a freeze frame start and end to each clip?

Participant

Both my TV and DVD player (Samsung) claim to be High Definition, and the TV can certainly display the 720p footage direct from the camera in glorious highdefness. But if I want to record to a DVD in high definition will I need to invest in Blu-Ray or can a so-called HD DVD player play 720p DVD’s burned on a lap top?

HD DVD is dead – That camp dropped out of the market a few months ago. If you want to deliver true HD (720p, 1080i, 1080p) via anything other than computer (or data disc, flash, etc… ) then as of right now your only option is BluRay. If you already own an HD/DVD player and HD/DVD burner on the PC, this will work, but that market is not going anywhere near up.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap