Burning 1080 60p Blu-Ray with DVDA – Will the day ever come?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Burning 1080 60p Blu-Ray with DVDA – Will the day ever come?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

With the newest releases of Vegas and DVD Architect in the past few weeks, I cannot help but notice that DVD Architect still only has 1080 60i at 29.97fps as its highest possible creation/burn setting.

With experience playing the raw files back straight from the camera on a capable HDTV and then creating a blu-ray of the same footage, I do definitely prefer the true 60p.

Even with Vegas and creating .m2ts files, the max frame rate is 29.97

I know the “HD Writer” software that came with the camera will make a 1080 60p file to Blu-Ray, but the editing capabilites are extremely limited, and the process of doing so is VERY painfully slow.

Double,

That’s probably because Sony still only rolls with 1080i in their cameras. I’m not sure if even Adobe is rolling with 60p output for their newest NLE though they will import and play 60p/59.97 video (@ 30p or 29.97!)

Participant

You should be able to directlyexport1920x1080p60 in Sony Vegas Pro. Set your resolution to 1920×1080 in export, type in 60 for frame rate, and make sure the interlacingformat is set to “None (Progressive)” or any of the such.

Participant

I can load and edit the videos just fine – and they play fine, but as composite stated the actual play back is 30p or 29.97

XT – you can change those properties in the project setup, but when you go to make a .m2ts for blu-ray the highest option is 29.97 .

Don’t get me wrong – the video still looks good coming out in this way, but it just doesn’t have the “flavor” of the original. I will just be much more likely to keep these full raw files stored away which will add up to huge storage in a hurry rather than having a full quality edited BD image stored on my HD which would take up much less space.

Participant

I don’t know much about blu-ray, but you should be able to export in full (1920×1080/60p) video from Sony Vegas.

Also, I’ve heard that 1920×1080/60i video goes for about an hour on 25GB discs, and about 1 hour and 55 minutes on the 50GB.

Participant

You can render mp4 as 60p in vegas which will play better on a computer, but for Blu-Ray the m2ts formatcaps out at 29.97.

You can fit a lot more than that on a blu-ray disc. The standard bit-rate for .m2ts on a blu-ray is about 16 MB/s for 1920×1080 60i- which honestly unless you do someMASSIVE zooms and compare screenshots side by side, you practically cannot see a difference in quality. The difference is just in the file type. Lower bit-rate .m2ts will basically have the same picture quality of your .mts files on your Panasonic.

Anyway that said, you can fit about 3 hours easily (a little more) on a 25 GB Blu-Ray disc without sacrificing quality.

Participant

MPEG-4 AVC HD you should. Now your question will be whether or not your Blu-ray player (or the majority of client’s ones) can actually play the files. I’ve also heard that some bluray technology has problems playing AVCHD sometimes, due to speed. Some even have trouble playing 1920×1080/60p. A generalizationfrom allmy research indicates that the development of 1080p60 support is not quite there yet, but, seems to be making it there VERY fast. Most NLEs are FULLY customizable in that regard. I don’t know a ton about bluray, but cost of blanks are expensive ($1+ a piece), but someday it will make it.

I can see a difference between 1920x1080p60 and 1920x1080i60, particularly on my TM700. AVCHD artifacts more shooting 60i (at least that’s my experience).

Participant

A year ago the cheapest BD-Rs were about $4, In January even. They are falling very fast.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap