Building PC for editing, what should I look for?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Production Gear Building PC for editing, what should I look for?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi

I’m looking into building my own PC for editing, what should I look for? What type of motherboard, processor, how much ram, video cards, storage space, any extra’s? I have a budget between 1K-2K if that helps. I do not want to buy a turnkey or pre-manufactured/setup pc from a store. I would like the experience of building my own system, plus I’m sure it’s much cheaper because I’ll be saving on labor. Any help would be great. Thanks, Ivan

Inactive

Hi!

I’m NOT an expert in terms of building a PC for video editing. But I might shed some light with regards to your inquiry. I just bought a new PC for some home video editing. Not for commercial purposes, as of the moment. I’ve asked this specs in some of video forums if it will be ok for home video editing and I got some good response with some comments of course.

Here are the major specs:

PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13GHz 4MB > {the higher the better if budget permits like Core 2 Quad Q6600}
    MEMORY: Kingston 2GB DDR2 667 > {much better if 3GB DDR2 800}
    MOTHERBOARD: Intel DG965WH with built-in firewire
    STORAGE SATA DRIVE: 80GB for system / 160GB for files > {should be 160GB for files & at least 250GB for video files}
    OPTICAL DRIVE: 20x DVD Writer Dual Layer
    DISPLAY CARD: 8500GT 512MB 128Bit DDR2 PCI-E
    MONITOR: 17" SVGA flat CRT monitor (I’ll be using this temporarily)

I bought the above system unit excluding the monitor for about US$ 720.00 or something like 32,000 Philippine Pesos.

I hope it will help you somehow.

Thanks!

Participant

Videomaker has some useful articles about that.

This one is about turnkey systems, but points out some things you would want to think about for your computer:

http://www.videomaker.com/article/13021/

And if you can afford it, a 64 bit processor wouldn’t be a bad idea. Here’s a nice article about them:

http://www.videomaker.com/article/13022/

Another good idea may be to first check out what NLE you want to use, then build you computer with those requirements in mind.

Anyways, good luck! And make sure you don’t have any static when you’re building the pc!

Inactive

Are consumer products like Uleads VideoStudio 11 an NLE, take that’s short for Non-Linear Editing? If not, what’s the difference? Also if not, what are some inexpensive NLE programs on the market today? Thanks for the advise on earlier topic "Building my own computer"

Ivan

Inactive

Very similar to the system I recently purchased and built. How about your power supply, brand, watts?
    I have a 700 watt power supply made by Thermaltake
    Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI motherboard
    Intel Core Duo E6600 @ 2.4 4MB 1066FSB processor
    2GB Patriot PC2-6400 for memory
    EVGA e-GeForce 7600 PCI-e for the driver
    200GB SATA and 160GB IDE as HD’s
    Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-212D recorder Dual
    Antec 900 series gaming case (You need a lot of air moving through it)
    I also got a switch to move back and forth to my family’s CPU.

I got it all for around 1100 after rebates – I already have a monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.

Inactive

iavideography Wrote:

Very similar to the system I recently purchased and built. How about your power supply, brand, watts?
    I have a 700 watt power supply made by Thermaltake
    Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI motherboard
    Intel Core Duo E6600 @ 2.4 4MB 1066FSB processor
    2GB Patriot PC2-6400 for memory
    EVGA e-GeForce 7600 PCI-e for the driver
    200GB SATA and 160GB IDE as HD’s
    Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-212D recorder Dual
    Antec 900 series gaming case (You need a lot of air moving through it)
    I also got a switch to move back and forth to my family’s CPU.

I got it all for around 1100 after rebates – I already have a monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.

Yeah. Very, very similar setup! But I’m just using a 650 watts power supply, generic brand only. I’m using a mesh type casing with 2 pcs 5" fan (front & rear). BTW, does the 2GB memory is enough for video editing?

• Viewing 5 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap