Building My Digital Editing Suite

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi gang – I’m building my editing suite fromthe ground up – actually including it in plans for my new home. Since I’m new to commercial/professional quality editing systems (but have tons of esxperience on the Sony/Uleqd/Pinnacle-type stuff), so I need some advice from some folks more experienced than I.

Which way should I go – Avid or Apple Final Cut? Or both? Which will glean the greatest interest from prospective customrs? WHat about acquisition and maintenance costs?

Lastly, I’m thinking of constructing a Faraday cage completely around the editing suite – to keep out all unwanted EMI and make the room as electrically “quite as possible – gonna condition the hell out of the power too. Any other tips? I’d really appreciate your help and advice – thanks a bunch!

Furrie

Inactive

Wow! no one has responded to your need to know. It sounds like you kind of already know what you want and since you posted this back in January you are probably already done. I too am looking for some advise. I took an old desk and modified it with coaster wheels and added a shelf to house my tower. But, this isno where ergonomic for the hours I spend editing, especially since all I had until recently was a hard chair borrowed from the kitchen table.

I have some ideas that I think I would like to have. You said that you are putting it into your new house plans. I think if I had to put it together and money was little of an object to stop me then I would like to start with a Lazy Boy recliner. Then make everthing set around it. How about a couple LCD projectors giving me a dual screen set up. Then I can place the images side by side to eleminate the split in the screen caused by the sides of the monitors. I definitly would like to take my noisy tower out of the room. Perhap, put it in an airconditioned closet. Now there’s one more thing that I would like to have except this envolves the help of the designers and programmers of all video editingsoftware out there in the world.

Why the hell would you make sortcuts be executed with the need of two hands?I like the J-K-L feature for rewinded – pausing- and playing. Except I have to take my right hand off the mouse. Why not S-D-F? There are other sortcuts that I never learn or use because it requires holding down the shift+alt keys with one hand and pressing something down with the other. It’s funny how there are so many keys that one can press and nothing happens because that key hasn’t been given a command.

I never like to share a problem with out also sharing a solution. So here it goes. Allow the users to designate and create their own sortcuts

oo…oo how about foot pedals. Yeah, then left foot can rewind and the right foot can scroll through the clips.

Participant

I think if I had to put it together and money was little of an object to stop me then I would like to start with a Lazy Boy recliner.

Haha! I’d fall asleep before I got anything done! πŸ˜›

How about a couple LCD projectors giving me a dual screen set up.

I personally would be a little leary of this as you can’t necessarily guarantee accurate color? I would recomend an 8-bit LCD or a “professional” CRT and if you can afford it, color callibration software/hardware.

Asfarasthe originalposter asking about editing, Sony, Adobe, Avidand Apple all offer prosoftwareto edit.Takea lookatthe options andseewhat you thinkis best for you.

Inactive

I personally would be a little leary of this as you can’t necessarily guarantee accurate color? I would recomend an 8-bit LCD or a “professional” CRT and if you can afford it, color callibration software/hardware.

I would use a 3rd monitor (professional CRT) to out put my video through. I was thinking more about getting rid of that space between the two screens. I like spreading my timeline with in the landscape. But I can’t complain many of my friends are jealous that I havea dualscreen setup to begin with.

Participant

I know what youmean with thedual monitorsetup.When I got my 24″I kept my 19″touseasasecond monitor.NowIcan’t imagine howI used only 1 monitor before! πŸ˜›

Itsoundslike you’llhave apretty sweetsetup. Ireallylike youridea of the projectors to get ridofthegap betweenthem. πŸ™‚

Let usknow howit worksout… andsend us pictures! πŸ˜›

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Nikon lenses β€” 2021

Nikon cameras are a favorite for DSLR shooters. Nikon has their own line of lenses, but there are also some third-party options available for both F mounts and Z mounts. Here are the best Nikon lenses currently available on the...
homicide-bootstrap