Building Computer for Premier Pro

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am gonna build a computer that I will use mainly for Adobe Premiere Pro, Aftereffects, Audition, Encore and Photoshop. I need to transfer VHS and Hi-8 Home videos to DVD. I will also be editing these videos using quite a few effects and transitions. I will also be learning to do animated cartoons using AfterEffects. I just need to know what parts i will need for what i am doing. This is what i have from my previous computer:
      180GB Internal Hard Drive
      120GB external Hard Drive
      500 Watt ATX PSU
      Creative SB Audigy 4 (WDM)
      NVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE 128MB
      2x PNY 512MB DDR

Any suggestions on what i need or if any of the items i have should be replaced. I was also wondering if a processor with Hyperthreading would be better?

Participant

Other than probably a case, I would definitely get a processor with HT or a Dual core (Pentium D). Adobe is specially designed to take advantage of this technology. Everything you have there looks great but I would add a second hard drive for storage (or, better yet, a RAID with 2 drives. most new mobos support RAID-0 which is the one that writes alternating data to 2 hard drives making it act as 1 and making for blazing fast access times) and use the current one as a system/os drive. Hard drives are very inexpensive now. You obviously need a new Mobo that will support the processor and all the other stuff you have (there are tons of different configurations out there). The video card you have should be just fine. I would also go for 1 more GB of RAM (also pretty cheap). A DVD Burner is obvious too and again, very cheap. Looks like you are in good shape for a pretty blazin system! You should be well set for under $500-$600. Let me know if you have any questions!

Participant

Get an AMD chip for video rendering.. I have the new 3800 x2 dual core, very nice!

later
    ~Adam

Participant

I’m going to be using the same software package. I went with a dual Xeon setup (3 ghz each). 2 gb RAM, 3 HD’ (1 for the OS, 2 for storage). A Matrox video card to see 2 monitor with output to a tv. I’ll use onboard sound for now but I may add a X-Fi card later. I just need to get a new case and PSU to get going.

Participant

Most Mobos seem to come with RAID support but make sure it does before you buy. You cant afford to not use RAID with 2 storage drives!

Participant

But what about using 2 SATA drives independantly? One for capturing and the other for final renders? That’s what I’d like to do anyway.

Participant

Jackal Wrote:

But what about using 2 SATA drives independantly? One for capturing and the other for final renders? That’s what I’d like to do anyway.

IMO since you won’t be capturing and rendering at the same time, that would be a waste of seperate drives. If you combine them using RAID, they will both be used simultaneously during capture and rendering (and editing). Basically with a RAID-0, the data is written and retrieved from both drives in an alternating fashion. Lets say I wrote you a message like this:

V-D-O-M-K-R-M-G-Z-N- -U-E-

-I-E- -A-E- -A-A-I-E-R-L-S

If you had a translator that could read both lines simultaneously you would get:

VIDEOMAKER MAGAZINE RULES

But since each drive can read and write at the same time, they can work twice as fast. Essentially giving you 14400 RPMs. If you use one drive for capture and one for render, you will only be using 1 drive at a time giving you only 7200RPMs. Make since?

Participant

Ok. But rendering to the same drives that the raw footage is on? It was my understanding that it could slow down the process as it is reading and writing to the same drive, probably not a whole lot though.

Participant

ok, I see what you’re saying. You’re right, the drives would both be in use simultaneously. So you may be right. I wonder whether it may be even better to render to yet another drive? Or maybe even the system drive (since the final render will take up a relatively small amount of space)? Anyone else have an opinion?

Inactive

Jackal Wrote:

Ok. But rendering to the same drives that the raw footage is on? It was my understanding that it could slow down the process as it is reading and writing to the same drive, probably not a whole lot though.

Keep in mind that you’re dealing with drives that have a much faster access time so that would help offset the amount of time it would take for your drives to do its double duty compared to non-RAID or ATA drives. I’m sure Adobe was talking about plain ATA or Ultra ATA drives at the time because they are slower so that’s why they suggested using a seperate scratch drive for rendering.

You are correct however. The ultimate setup would be a RAID-0 to capture the RAW footage and then render to another drive. If your main system drive (C:) was big enough, you could probably use that. Another drive would be the real way to go though.

But most of what I’m reading says that you don’t really need to have a RAID-0 configs if you’re just dealing with DV. HD is a different story. There I guess you have to use RAID configs.

Participant

I don’t have RAID (yet) and the speed of the HD is the limiting factor reducing the speed of previewing (not necessarily rendering though). So I think there would be a noticeable difference in editing with RAID. Plus, it’s so cheap and easy, why shouldn’t we all have RAID?

Participant

I wouldn’t mind using RAID but I really don’t know much about it. It seems simple to setup. Identical drives seems to be the only real necessity. But my systems drive will be ATA/IDE or what ever it’s called. My 2 250gb SATA drives will be for storage. If I use RAID then I would like to get 2 more and have 4 drives. 2 for capture, 2 for final render in RAID because eventually I’ll get into HD editing. I’ll figure it out once I get the system put together. I still a new case, full tower.

Participant

That may be overkill for the render drive. Not that overkill isn’t sweet but you won’t need nearly as much storage for render files as you will for capture/edit files. I don’t know that a RAID for the render drive will make any difference in speed at all since the render process will be harder on the input drive more than the output. Setting up a RAID should be simple. Basically, two drives will look like one extra large one to windows. There are other options for RAID too like RAID-1 which will write the same data to 2 drives giving you a backup in case you lose a drive. But, this will not help your drives speed at all or give you more storage.

Participant

At the moment I’d like to use my SATA drives independently. Capture to one, render to the next. I hope that I can do that. Could I set up 2 SATA drives for RAID to capture and have 1 SATA drive for rendering? My mobo only has 2 SATA plugs. I would need a controller for more. But I don’t have a PCI-X slot. My system drive will be ATA/IDE.

Inactive

It kind of depends on you MOBO and BIOS configuration but you should be able to use them independently. There is nothing wrong with that either. Besides its your machine!

You still will have faster drives versus your ATA drives. RAID-0 configs just make them extreamly fast!

RAM

Participant

Thanks.

• Viewing 15 reply threads

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
    homicide-bootstrap